• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First Time Rooting Need Advice

HotRoderX

Android Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2012
This is the first device I have ever rooted.

I used the one click root program (which worked wonderfully thanks)

I installed Superuser.apk
I installed Titanium Backup

Now I am making a backup off all my System program and Installed Programs.

What else would you guys recommend doing or am I ready to start removing bloat ware?

I am on Metro PCS I am assuming that if i accidently uninstall something I can re-install it using my titanium backup?

Welcome to the root side!

If it is backed up, then yes. But the backups take lots of space on your SD card so plan around that. If you wish to remove bloatware now, then by all means, go ahead! After you do that and are happy with it, you may want to start looking around at ROMs to flash on your phone. Remember, ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS! You could save your phone from becoming a paper weight...

Reactions: HotRoderX
Upvote 0
That's my ultimate goal is to put a rom on the phone in the future. Any guides you would suggest to read? I wanna upgrade to a 4g phone maybe in the next month or 2. I figured it was time to start playing with this phone get my self comfortable so when i do upgrade I know what I am doing and can get rid of the bloat and just in general mod the phone to my liking.

I really had the entire rooting thing built up in my head way to much. Given I did use a 1 click root program (one from this sight in fact) still it was really easy.

One more question the backups can they be moved to my computer for storage? I have a 5 terabyte server I use for data backups for the PC's in my house. Will moving them around break anything in Titanium are should be safe

Upvote 0
That's my ultimate goal is to put a rom on the phone in the future. Any guides you would suggest to read? I wanna upgrade to a 4g phone maybe in the next month or 2. I figured it was time to start playing with this phone get my self comfortable so when i do upgrade I know what I am doing and can get rid of the bloat and just in general mod the phone to my liking.

I really had the entire rooting thing built up in my head way to much. Given I did use a 1 click root program (one from this sight in fact) still it was really easy.

One more question the backups can they be moved to my computer for storage? I have a 5 terabyte server I use for data backups for the PC's in my house. Will moving them around break anything in Titanium are should be safe

Read this : http://androidforums.com/admire-all-things-root/452614-samsung-admire-all-things-root-guide-updated-7-30-2012-a.html#post3535412 . And yeah your backups get saved to a folder on your sd card so you can just move it to your computer.

Reactions: HotRoderX
Upvote 0
Wow this is simply amazing removed all the bloat off the phone and its night and day. My phone went from dragging around to really snappy. I noticed the biggest improvement when I yanked that Metro Wifi Finder program (not sure the exact name). This really really makes me wanna install a custom rom now i have heard they can make the device run even smoother.

Upvote 0
Wow this is simply amazing removed all the bloat off the phone and its night and day. My phone went from dragging around to really snappy. I noticed the biggest improvement when I yanked that Metro Wifi Finder program (not sure the exact name). This really really makes me wanna install a custom rom now i have heard they can make the device run even smoother.
Yeah metropcs easy wifi. That thing was annoying. And well there are a lot of roms for you to choose from.Stock++, Monster 5.3, OpenAndroid 2.3, Putu 2.2, Lunar gen,etc. Those are just the roms that i used that i really liked

Upvote 0
Yeah metropcs easy wifi. That thing was annoying. And well there are a lot of roms for you to choose from.Stock++, Monster 5.3, OpenAndroid 2.3, Putu 2.2, Lunar gen,etc. Those are just the roms that i used that i really liked

Yea playing around with the phone today something I removed increased my internet speeds 2x-3x's what they where.

I have another question I figured I just continue on in my thread instead of creating a new one

I have a family member that would seriously benefit from having the bloat removed from there phone.

My worry is there the type of person that would "accidentally" delete something important.

What I have read you need Superuser.apk and Titanium Backup to do anything with Root access.

What happens if I root there phone get it setup then remove Superuser.apk and Titanium Backup? Would this stop them from being able to access root on the phone? Are is there some way to lock the root down so they cant accidentally make changes.

Upvote 0
Yea playing around with the phone today something I removed increased my internet speeds 2x-3x's what they where.

I have another question I figured I just continue on in my thread instead of creating a new one

I have a family member that would seriously benefit from having the bloat removed from there phone.

My worry is there the type of person that would "accidentally" delete something important.

What I have read you need Superuser.apk and Titanium Backup to do anything with Root access.

What happens if I root there phone get it setup then remove Superuser.apk and Titanium Backup? Would this stop them from being able to access root on the phone? Are is there some way to lock the root down so they cant accidentally make changes.

Well superuser allows apps to gain access to your root files. So without itthings like titianium backup, root explorer, etc wouldn't work. Titanium backup has nothing to do with root access. That's just an app you can use to backup and restore things. Also if you permanently root your phone theres no way to lose it unless you go back to your stock rom. There is an in-root method but it's not something a person could do on their own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones