• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FIXED: Camera won't work with SD Card

CommandoJ

So the SD card saga continues!

I bought a SanDisk 32GB SD card. So far, this card has not caused the phone to lock up like the other, no-name brand card did. I also copied all of the things from my old SD card to the new one.

However, when I inserted this card, the camera would not save pictures. At all. No matter what I set the camera to (internal or external storage), no matter if I unmounted the SD card, as long as it was in the phone it would not work. I did not think this was a hardware issue, because in the aLogCat program I saw this:

I/camera ( 4272): [T][APL][244] ImageManager : ContentResolver.insert: Failed to write MediaStore java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unknown URI: content://media/external/images/media

So I googled for "commando camera sd card" and got some hits. Among the hits, was a forum posting that suggested to use the Google Edition Camera and Gallery. Information on this app is here:

Get Photosphere on non-Nexus devices with the 'Google edition' camera app | Android Central

When I installed this .apk, I got the "normal" (i.e. non-gzoned) camera and gallery apps that shipped with Android 4.0.

Magically, BOTH cameras now work and save to the SD card properly, and both Gallery apps read the new AND old photos off the SD card.

THANK YOU!
I've been trying to find the default gallery on this phone, and every time I tried to use it, it says "Unfortunately, the Camera has stopped working". Kind of a pain in the rump!

:smokingsomb: - EY! People on here have some good thing to say about this phone, I wanna be one of them, but I have had it all of 3 days and now the camera is dead. So a couple of questions:

1: Has anyone had this problem when you try to use the camera it says

"!Camera error- Failed to start the camera. Please wait a while then try again."

Spoiler alert... it doesn't work after 'a while' or ever again for that matter. I even tried the google app camera and while the app boots, the camera wont turn on. It has just sort of died, and I had taken some pictures with it before this happened.
But, is this just a weird thing or should I go with something else? I wanted to like this phone but there is so much to criticize I don't know anymore.
Also checking out casio's site, which is a clusterfuzz in its own right, has some source files available for download could those be used to sort of "trim the fat" so to speak. Please give me a reason to stay with this commando G'z, cause its getting pretty sticky over here. :goodnight:

Sounds like a hardware issue, so maybe you should return it. I'm like you, trying to like this phone but not really able to. I came from a Droid Razr Maxx that is a super stable phone. This one, not so much...

Ugh, I'll be going to to version store today... they should do me a swap no problem since it appears to be a hardware malfunction. But I'm contempating fighting for a switch to Razr M, because I have had droid X and X2 and prefer their UI set up and widgets.

My wife has the razr m, its a nice phone except that the radio is not as strong as the other razrs, or this phone either.

Ugh, I'll be going to to version store today... they should do me a swap no problem since it appears to be a hardware malfunction. But I'm contempating fighting for a switch to Razr M, because I have had droid X and X2 and prefer their UI set up and widgets.

This isn't a hardware malfunction per se, it's just that the phone is really picky with regards to SD cards. What you are describing is EXACTLY what my phone was doing until I bought the top-of-the-line SanDisk SD card. Now it works flawlessly.

In the end I couldn't commit to two years of a phone that was having critical issues on the third day of use. So I got rid of the G'z phone for something a little more familiar to me. I didn't have the patience to try all the little things you have to do to be happy with this phone and I'm glad I made the switch, guess it wasn't for me.

I don't blame you. With every reboot I'm that much closer to pulling out my SIM and sticking it back in my Razr Maxx.

Back
Top Bottom