• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Flash original Firmware?

I want to flash a 'Kies recognisable' firmware to my phone but I don't yet understand which firmware I have to use. I don't know which on applies to my device.

I'm in the UK on the O2 network and I have the International S2.

Any help will be rewarded.

;)

Up until recently, the answer to that question would have been very easy... I would have just directed you to the, "All Things Root" section of the forum and then to the sticky entitled, "Samsung Galaxy S2 (International) - All Things Root Guide" and then to... "Official i9100 carrier branded firmware".

However, since the demise of Megaupload, those files are no longer available to download. :(

My only suggestion now is a search on SamMobile Firmware, here:-

SamMobile Firmware Page

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Indeed the link does help. Thanks. I was wondering if anyone knows how Kies recognises what sort of variant you had. For instance my SGSII could be reverted to stock, non carrier branded GB and updated from there, but would Kies think it was still Vodafone branded and flash the latest Vodafone variant ? My experience of my question is coming from Symbian where older devices could have there product code changed, but newer versions could never connect to Nokia Software Updater again to receive updates once they had been flashed with the latest stock firmware via a Programme named Pheonix (think of it as Odin for Symbian).

Upvote 0
Don't know if your post was meant for me or not ironass, but no I'm actually not after ICS. I'm happy with CheckROM for now. I don't want ICS for two reasons, one I'm delighted with GB and if I have to use Odin to flash, bang goes my warranty. You can't install a USB jig working boot loader to ICS as far as I'm aware. I could find a .zip and flash that using CWM, but I'll wait until Gadget check and Leo have weaved their magic.

Upvote 0
Don't know if your post was meant for me or not ironass, but no I'm actually not after ICS. I'm happy with CheckROM for now. I don't want ICS for two reasons, one I'm delighted with GB and if I have to use Odin to flash, bang goes my warranty. You can't install a USB jig working boot loader to ICS as far as I'm aware. I could find a .zip and flash that using CWM, but I'll wait until Gadget check and Leo have weaved their magic.

I don't think flashing a released version of ICS will increment your counter thus there should be no need for a Jig. How did you get CheckROM on your phone without using ODIN?

Upvote 0
I don't think flashing a released version of ICS will increment your counter thus there should be no need for a Jig. How did you get CheckROM on your phone without using ODIN?

I flashed the .zip thorough CWM, I rooted it before hand. The first time I ever used Odin was to rootand the only other time was to load the old boot loader so my USB jig would reset my counter. I have all my CWM backups stored on my PC and backed up on DVD should I encounter a problem. Always better safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones