• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashing CWM on stock 4.4

2prevail

Android Enthusiast
I just updated to KitKat when the factory images became available. My nexus 4 has never had any custom recovery or root access on it since the day I bought it but I would like to flash the mod that will make my lock screen status and nav bars transparent. CWM and TWRP will get the job done but I don't know how to install it on a 100% stock device without messing up. I have used both recoveries on previous devices I just need help installing them on this one. Thanks!

Any time you're going to do anything non-stock (like making a phone call, entering a new contact, etc.) on the phone MAKE A BACKUP. Then back that backup file up to a different device. That eliminates th "losing data" problem".

Is your device unlocked? If not, you'll need to first unlock the bootloader (with fastboot oem unlock, which will wipe all your data BTW). Then just grab the latest recovery you want to use (in .img format) and flash it with "fastboot flash recovery recovery_of_choice.img".

Is your device unlocked? If not, you'll need to first unlock the bootloader (with fastboot oem unlock, which will wipe all your data BTW). Then just grab the latest recovery you want to use (in .img format) and flash it with "fastboot flash recovery recovery_of_choice.img".

I had a feeling that's what I needed to do but I had just locked my boot loader again and put all my stuff back on the phone. Oh well

Back
Top Bottom