• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FM Radio from Website, not Play Store

Blazin65

I had a FM Radio on my HTC that I liked really well. If I remember correctly, the radio did not come from the play store, it came from a website. There's a thread somewhere on these forums that gives the location of this radio. I downloaded the app onto an SD Card and intalled it.

Now I have this Samsung Galaxy and I'd like to get the same radio, but I searched the threads and and I can't seem to find the thread that has the link.

Does this particular FM Radio ring a bell to anyone? I'm talking about a real live FM Radio, not a recording.

Maybe there's a forum master here that knows which one I'm talking about.

Did your phone actually have a hardware FM radio receiver (cool but rare)? Or was it some app that streams popular stations over the internet (because there are dozens of those)?

No. Like I said, it was a FM Radio or FM Tuner that I got from the link/website. It had local stations and you could even set presets. I've still got the HTC One V, I just can't take it off the phone and transfer it, otherwise I would. The phone isn't allowing me to transfer it to the SD Card, which seems odd because I loaded it onto the phone from the SD Card. But unfortunately I cannot see any name associated with the app, so I'm stuck.

Does anyone know how to attach an app to an email or text message so that you can forward it to another phone or email address?

That would be because the HTC One X series had an integrated FM radio receiver. Exactly what I was saying above. Its a hardware feature built into that phone, the app you installed is just an interface for it.
It won't work on the Victory or most phones for that matter unless they have the same unique chipset.

Its sort of like expecting to move the camera app from your one and expecting the Galaxy to magically now support ultrapixel resolution!

Interesting. OK. It was a HTC One V. If that was unique to that phone, then that's about the only thing that was good. Otherwise that phone was crap.

HTC builds many of their phones with FM receivers- my HTC One has one, but the Victory, to my knowledge, does not.

I'll echo the response that I don't think Victory has the necessary hardware (REALLY wish it did), but the app you're thinking of is probably Spirit FM. It used to be widely available on the Market (way back when) but the dev (who still actively works n the app) severely restricted it, due to people not understanding the above limitation.

When people can show that their hardware is capable, he will offer assistance in getting it running.

I'll echo the response that I don't think Victory has the necessary hardware (REALLY wish it did), but the app you're thinking of is probably Spirit FM. It used to be widely available on the Market (way back when) but the dev (who still actively works n the app) severely restricted it, due to people not understanding the above limitation.

When people can show that their hardware is capable, he will offer assistance in getting it running.

He also removed tons of features from cheaper versions and made them premium only. I had that app.

Does anyone know how to attach an app to an email or text message so that you can forward it to another phone or email address?

I have a method you can use to get the tuner to your new phone, but it's a little tedious. If your HTC does not have data, use the wifi to download GO Backup & Restore from the Play Store. The pro version costs about $5 but it allows you to backup your apps as well as your app data among pretty much the rest of your phone. Install it on your HTC and backup to your SD card. Then put the SD card in your new phone and download the app on it. Since you've already paid for it you won't need to again, just download. Then "restore" the app to your new phone. BUT make sure that your Play Store settings allow you to install from 3rd party sources first. Then you'll be able to use it if the Galaxy Victory has the hardware for it. I'm still trying to find out if it has the capabilities or not myself since I've been looking for a tuner also.

Edit: I just found an FM tuner, but my phone told me that it doesn't support FM radio.

Edit: I just found an FM tuner, but my phone told me that it doesn't support FM radio.

Correct, as we said from the beginning, its rare to find hardware FM tuners in phones. Its not a major selling point, sort of like 3D displays.

I have a method you can use to get the tuner to your new phone, but it's a little tedious. If your HTC does not have data, use the wifi to download GO Backup & Restore from the Play Store. The pro version costs about $5 but it allows you to backup your apps as well as your app data among pretty much the rest of your phone. Install it on your HTC and backup to your SD card. Then put the SD card in your new phone and download the app on it. Since you've already paid for it you won't need to again, just download. Then "restore" the app to your new phone. BUT make sure that your Play Store settings allow you to install from 3rd party sources first. Then you'll be able to use it if the Galaxy Victory has the hardware for it. I'm still trying to find out if it has the capabilities or not myself since I've been looking for a tuner also.

As previously stated, it requires HARDWARE to be present. HTC typically puts them in because it costs almost nothing for it, but nobody else really does.

Thanks for the all the information everyone. The primary reason I wanted the FM Radio was for sports, not music. I like being able to listen to Football or Baseball games when walking or running. I do have a FM radio that will work just fine. Sansa Clip. I'll leave the phone in the car. :)

Thanks for the all the information everyone. The primary reason I wanted the FM Radio was for sports, not music. I like being able to listen to Football or Baseball games when walking or running. I do have a FM radio that will work just fine. Sansa Clip. I'll leave the phone in the car. :)

A lot of local radio stations have online streaming options, but if you've already got a solution that works go with it!

So, me too. my evo v cost $300 two years ago, and I've spent $100 in insurance and $100 deductible so I could replace my phone with a radio, as Tune-in runs the battery out before half my workday, and does not work where my Sprint signal is weak. Now, HTC is no help at all, and it appears the apk I used before is not available. I made a mistake keeping insurance past six months, and I now carry my heavy phone and a small old sony erriccson phone for better pictures AND a real radio.
Today I'm going to just start loading apk's from wherever until something works, or I have to throw the phone away. I've saved $1400 by going with Virgin vs AT&T, but I'm not getting any customer support from them either.
Live and learn.

So, me too. my evo v cost $300 two years ago, and I've spent $100 in insurance and $100 deductible so I could replace my phone with a radio, as Tune-in runs the battery out before half my workday, and does not work where my Sprint signal is weak. Now, HTC is no help at all, and it appears the apk I used before is not available. I made a mistake keeping insurance past six months, and I now carry my heavy phone and a small old sony erriccson phone for better pictures AND a real radio.
Today I'm going to just start loading apk's from wherever until something works, or I have to throw the phone away. I've saved $1400 by going with Virgin vs AT&T, but I'm not getting any customer support from them either.
Live and learn.

Wait, what phone are you talking about? The Evo V or the Victory LTE?

The EVO V has hardware support for an FM radio, which you can find being discussed here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-v-4g/560368-does-htc-evo-v-4g-have-fm-tuner.html

The Victory does not. There is simply NO tuner hardware to accept the fm signal, simple as that. In fact, I've never owned a phone that had that hardware, yet it sounds like some people are expecting this to be possible on all devices.

That's like saying there should be an app that lets your phone project an image on the wall, just because you saw a phone that had a built in projector once (Galaxy Beam). And before you ask, NO, there isn't an app that will magically make your phone grow an LED projector! ;)

Back
Top Bottom