• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Folder synchronization

fo_canada

Lurker
Hi All. I am looking for a data synchronization app. I don't want to use a cloud based system as I don't always have access to wifi. On my original note 10.1 I stored my files on the SD card. Once a week or so I would remove the SD card and use MS synctoy to sych to my laptop which in turn would sync to our server. This worked OK.

The files I sych are mostly PDFs that I markup with ezPdf and the awesome S pen .

I now have a Note 10.1 2014 on KK... and it appears Google has changed the security permissions so an app cannot change files on the SD card... please correct me if I'm wrong. If I copy the file from the SD card to the device I can edit it, so it's not the device or ezPdf.

So I want to synchronization two dozen folders on my Note (device mem or SD card) to folders in different locations on my laptop. Either with a cable, or bluetooth or some other non cloud based system.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

An app can change files it has write permissions to. If app A creates a file and doesn't give "everyone" write permissions, or the app you want to use to change the file isn't running as superuser, it won't work, the same as files on internal storage. But you should be able to read all the files on the SD card. And you can do anything you want to them if you remove the card from the phone and connect it to your computer with a card reader. Windows doesn't see Linux permissions, so it doesn't adhere to them.

If you can mount the SD card on your laptop (IOW, plug in the USB cable), any sync program that only reads the card and writes to the laptop should work. Or you could use Airdroid and do it through wifi. Again, this will only work to read the SD card. If you want true sync (make both the laptop folders and the SD folders the same) and that requires writing to the SD card, the app writing to it has to get root first.

Back
Top Bottom