• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FolderOrganizer: Increase your precious home screen real estate!

gltovar

Lurker
This application allows you to create folders with icons you can choose (either from standard android icons, images on your phone, or android iconpacks). Might not sound like much, but if you use this app in conjuncture with a home screen that allows you to have shortcuts next to the app launcher (such as this LauncherPro ), it can greatly increase the amount of space for home screen widgets.

52b3a94d9587ea4d41d7e62c315f271b.jpg

My setup is 1 FolderOrganizer folder per launcher shortcut (4 total).

85f0261eb01be2f4ab645870e84dfff2.jpg

First folder is 'communications' with the standard phone icon with contains the phone, sms, contacts, email, and other communication related apps.

9b7b8abac79cc8b066352a440f6689c3.jpg

Next folder is 'internet' with the globe icon. It has apps that deal with aggregating internet data; so the web browser, engadget, app store, flixter, mint.com, package tracker, news.
40a20d864e9de4088cdd37a24cdb4375.jpg

Third folder is 'multimedia' with a multimedia icon. Apps include, Music, Rhapsody,
Last.fm, jet flicks, youtube, home pipes, gallery.

4ba0504852c716546fb58dd9084177f6.jpg

Final folder is 'games' with a joystick icon. All games pile in this folder.

be4f502fb1b25a009d7ba9aad9862b4b.jpg

Since the folders sit as launcher shortcuts, they are always available no matter which homescreen I'm on, I ended up going from having 5 full homes screens to 2. On my center home screen i have a 2x4 calender widget, 2x2 task list, alarm shortcut, calc short cut. On the left I have all sorts of toggle widgets such as: Powerstrip, orientation switch, flash light switch, cpu over clocking, led backlighting.

When it comes down to it, this app just let me change the icons of home screen folders (though there are other features that I don't use), but that simple feature allowed for a great home screen experience.

Very nice Review.
I really like this app ever since i first heard about it a while back. It actually almost made me forget about Wizbar Advance that i had on my WinMo phone. Too bad the developer is so stubborn about porting it to Android. But this app feels that need very nicely.
I like how you changed the icons for each folder.

TS

Back
Top Bottom