• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frustrated with lack of options and dumb design choices

So I picked up the Moto G today after the wireless completely went in my old yet reliable HTC Sensation. Immediately out of the box the Moto G feels great and nice to hold. It's when I started getting some use out of the phone that I realised how much unnecessary bullshit there is on this thing. 80% of the time I use my phone is for music, so it will mostly be stuff about that.

First off my old HTC had Cyanogen on it, which came with an awesome hold volume to switch track feature. It's not on the Moto G, and any apps either don't work or are poor in design. Still, nothing major there.

The second point however really did piss me off in shitty design choices. The Sensation had a precautionary measure so that if you turn your music up too loud, it will have a prompt asking you if you want to turn it up all the way. You also had the ability to turn this prompt off completely. The Moto G doesn't. But then I found out that if the volume is on maximum and, while in sleep, you turn the music UP again, it will go down about 3 levels. While it's at this stage and it's locked, trying to turn it up again does nothing. You literally have to unlock the phone to turn it back up. While this may seem like a pet peeve, this really did piss me off in how awfully you can design certain aspects of a phone. With its default complete and utter lack of option, the user really has a seriously, SERIOUSLY limited amount of options.

Out of curiosity, is there a Cyanogen mod for the Moto G with a stable ROM? I really don't think I can use the phone in the awful state it's in at the moment. A lack of options is one thing. But useless, ridiculous and, downright piss poor "features"? I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to root this thing.

So I picked up the Moto G today after the wireless completely went in my old yet reliable HTC Sensation. Immediately out of the box the Moto G feels great and nice to hold. It's when I started getting some use out of the phone that I realised how much unnecessary bullshit there is on this thing. 80% of the time I use my phone is for music, so it will mostly be stuff about that.

First off my old HTC had Cyanogen on it, which came with an awesome hold volume to switch track feature. It's not on the Moto G, and any apps either don't work or are poor in design. Still, nothing major there.

The second point however really did piss me off in shitty design choices. The Sensation had a precautionary measure so that if you turn your music up too loud, it will have a prompt asking you if you want to turn it up all the way. You also had the ability to turn this prompt off completely. The Moto G doesn't. But then I found out that if the volume is on maximum and, while in sleep, you turn the music UP again, it will go down about 3 levels. While it's at this stage and it's locked, trying to turn it up again does nothing. You literally have to unlock the phone to turn it back up. While this may seem like a pet peeve, this really did piss me off in how awfully you can design certain aspects of a phone. With its default complete and utter lack of option, the user really has a seriously, SERIOUSLY limited amount of options.

Out of curiosity, is there a Cyanogen mod for the Moto G with a stable ROM? I really don't think I can use the phone in the awful state it's in at the moment. A lack of options is one thing. But useless, ridiculous and, downright piss poor "features"? I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to root this thing.

Wow. That's all I can say is wow. Please, there are young children that read this forum (like my son that reads over my shoulder). Please don't cuss on here. Express your frustration in a different manner. Thank you.

Any way, yes, CM11 is out and very stable on the Moto G. I have a XT1034 and I've been using CM for about 3 weeks or so. I get the nightly updates every day that there is one. I've had no real problems with it. There are people who seem to have problems, so I guess that your mileage varies.

The Sensation had a precautionary measure so that if you turn your music up too loud, it will have a prompt asking you if you want to turn it up all the way. You also had the ability to turn this prompt off completely. The Moto G doesn't. But then I found out that if the volume is on maximum and, while in sleep, you turn the music UP again, it will go down about 3 levels. While it's at this stage and it's locked, trying to turn it up again does nothing. You literally have to unlock the phone to turn it back up.

Try the VLC For Android Beta app.It gives a warning if you turn it all the way up, depending on the sound levels. The volume level is also stable when going in and out of sleep.

Back
Top Bottom