• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *Fully working H/K conversion for all M8 variants -Except GPE*

SolApathy

Just another robot
Jun 1, 2010
Ohio
www.billspcrepair.net
**WORKS WITH ANY ROM**

This has been on XDA for a few days. Wanted to wait and see how well it worked before posting it here. It's easy to do just follow this thread over at XDA. Keep in mind this does require root, and they recommend S-off

XDA-H/K hack for all M8 devices/w sense -DOES NOT WORK ON GPE!

Mod moved here for now: [MOD][8/3] - Harman / Kardon Sound Mod for All M8's

For 4.4.3 roms you'll need the HK-V4.1-with-ADSP file ( unless on Verizon, there's a different file for you). Also you'll need to flash the 4.4.3-Fix after you flash the above mod.

Here is another way to do it (Includes a video) for all variants of the M8 that are running Sense

Video tutorial

I'm slightly confused then. I thought you needed the H/K Rom by Bad Boys to get the benefits of the audio mods?

Man I need to get my act together. All work and no play makes me get behind. :(

I understand completely, believe me. I'm at the point of dreaming I've finished two hours of work before waking up. :(

And yeah, it's just a mod, flash the s-off zip and profit. :)

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
I noticed a huge improvement when listening to music in my car or over headphones. But from the speakers they sound the same to me. But the HK mod and viper4android "I think that what's it called" is full blown the best audio experience I've had with a phone. Sometimes sounds better than my guitar;)

[APP] Official Viper4Android Audio

You're absolutely right, that's the missing piece of the puzzle. :)

Upvote 0
Anyone try dps manager on stock Rom vs viper? I've noticed there's some apps on playstore porting cm apps with dps manager being included. Tried it but can't really tell a difference unless dps relies on aosp to fully work where viper doesn't... Just a thought :)

Apologize if you already know this...

There are a number of DSP Manager ports that only go to the app level - and there are pretty good generic ports that flash properly and install the binary libraries.

The sound quality difference between the two isn't close imo. I think without the libraries it's just window dressing.

So, it's probably more accurate to say that it relies on libraries baked into CM (not all AOSP) that have been pulled, packaged and work well with other roms.

I used this one on Viper Jellybean roms on my LTEvo, worked great - http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/themes-apps/app-t2393138

I used another for Viper ICS.

There's probably a KitKat version of one of those floating around if the JB one doesn't work.

But - I'm digging Viper4Android a lot now too. :)

Reactions: MotoTurbo
Upvote 0
Apologize if you already know this...

There are a number of DSP Manager ports that only go to the app level - and there are pretty good generic ports that flash properly and install the binary libraries.

The sound quality difference between the two isn't close imo. I think without the libraries it's just window dressing.

So, it's probably more accurate to say that it relies on libraries baked into CM (not all AOSP) that have been pulled, packaged and work well with other roms.

I used this one on Viper Jellybean roms on my LTEvo, worked great - http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/themes-apps/app-t2393138

I used another for Viper ICS.

There's probably a KitKat version of one of those floating around if the JB one doesn't work.

But - I'm digging Viper4Android a lot now too. :)
Aww i see. I was thinking dps was just an eq really since it came pre-installed on roms unlike where viper when you first open it it asks you to install the drivers... Thanks for clearing that up:) you'd think as a musician I'd know a little more about audio haha

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Just tried to download the app from the website and Chrome blocked it as malicious software. :thinking:

I'll try the play store and see if it's still there.

No no no.

First, turn off letting Google veto your apps - it occurs in 3 places in our settings.

Next - beat Google at how they borked the WebKit and WebView so that you can't get text reflow after zoom now by installing the KitKat ready to not put up with that crap browser, Dolphin.

Now, go to a website with purely a flash video, and follow the link inside the box to Dolphin's solution to KitKat breaking the JB Flash sideload stunt.

Then use Dolphin to go get you some Viper4Android from the XDA thread (and no where else). Use the direct media fire link there.

I don't know about you but I didn't s-off just so Google could say what I can't do! :D

Added - https://dolphinbrowser.desk.com/cus...-in-android-4-4-how-do-i-enable-flash-player-

Upvote 0
OK, it's installed, and yes that is a very good application!! I had no idea it could be this good!

Google aint telling me what to do, I turned that crap off as soon as I caught wind of it. :D

Just so everyone is clear, where are all 3 locations?
Settings / Security / uncheck Verify Apps

I declined the auto popup as soon as I saw it the first time. So I assume that on is in Google Settings

Where is the third?

PS, I switched to Dolphin a while back. Maxthon got a crappy update and I switched. I did not know about the hacked Adobe Flash Player, so thank you kindly for that one!! :)

I was using Chrome on my PC.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Ah, I understand, sorry about my assumption.

If I'm not mistaken, the third one is buried under the developer options.

Bah, no need for apologies my friend. You were watching my 6, for that I'm much obliged. :)

Yes sir, there it is. WTH is all this crap about googles verifying apps anyway? Maybe a topic for a new thread?

Upvote 0
Bah, no need for apologies my friend. You were watching my 6, for that I'm much obliged. :)

Yes sir, there it is. WTH is all this crap about googles verifying apps anyway? Maybe a topic for a new thread?

Yes right! At first I thought, great, the watchdog (their security bot in the Play Store) abides!

Then it started whining about everything and I saw it for what it is.

Probably great for many people.

Not us.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
Attempting to install the H-K mod & coming across problem #1:

Troubleshooting

ISSUE 1: I've flashed the zip and after reboot I do not have HK in Settings.

Reason: Happens because you did not have false line in system/customize/ACC/default.xml so script did not find it so it couldn't replace false with true

Solution::go to /system/customize/ACC/default.xml
search for and just it below it add:

true

The final result should look like this:
Code:
<app name="Android_Multimedia">
<item type="integer" name="has_default_alarm_volume">6</item>
<item type="integer" name="has_default_media_headset_volume">7</item>
<item type="integer" name="has_default_media_speaker_volume">10</item>
<item type="integer" name="has_default_ringtone_volume">5</item>
<item type="boolean" name="spport_screen_light">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_a2dp_safevolume">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_camera_enforce_shuttersound">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_customer_proxy">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_customization_fallback">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_harman">true</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_miit_request">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_music_ringtone">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_outdoor_mode">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_qcelp">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_theater_effect_logo">false</item>
<item type="integer" name="use_ringtone_for_notification">1</item>
</app>
Reboot. Profit!

Attempting to edit for the "true".
Being somewhat of a noob,not quite getting where/how to edit this to make it work.
Using the ES File Explorer that came w/the VIPER ROM & I've located the zip.

Could use some guidance on exactly how to proceed from here.

THX! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones