• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FYI: Charging Port

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
Just so you know. About 5 months ago, my M8 had charging difficulties. It wound up being that the charging port loosened in the phone. Since it was classified as damage, I had to use my Asurion extended warranty to replace the phone and pay $149. Well it just happened again. So I called Asurion and asked if my phone is covered by their 1 year warranty. (as told to me by a Verizon tech) They checked and said YES! It is now classified as a known issue and said I could choose a different phone of equal value so I don't have the problem again. There was no charge and they shipped my M9 overnight for free.

I've had a black background since my original droid incredible. Just thought it enhanced the look of the icons. Later I read about potential battery savings with a black background. The issue I'm monitoring is with a sudden system shutdown without a warning. I've had a few instances where moments before shutdown I've seen the battery at 20+% while viewing YouTube. Without a consumer replaceable battery

Upvote 0
My understanding is an all black background only benefits battery life on an OLED screen as it only lights up the pixels needed.
Non OLED screens have a light behind the screen that is on all the time and the front part of the screen is what shows colours and blocks the light to show blacks.
On an OLED screen therefore the more black on your screen, the less power needed to show the non black.

Reactions: Razen_kain
Upvote 0
Update to Asurion's warranty.
I just received the phone from Asurion. It's a brand new phone! Not refurbished or new to me, but a brand new in the box, with all the trimmings M9. And it was their idea to send me a phone other than an M8 since I had the same problem twice. Their deductable may be high ($149), but there service is excellent.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I've had a black background since my original droid incredible. Just thought it enhanced the look of the icons. Later I read about potential battery savings with a black background. The issue I'm monitoring is with a sudden system shutdown without a warning. I've had a few instances where moments before shutdown I've seen the battery at 20+% while viewing YouTube. Without a consumer replaceable battery

My hairdresser & I both have the M8 and both of us are having the exact same problem. I haven't seen this mentioned in any other M8 threads but there's got to be something going on if 3 owners have the same issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones