• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Light brick problem

Hi guys!!! I'm a techie by trade but don't do a lot of phone work so I'm glad to have found this forum.

I'm trying to help a friend with a Galaxy Light SGH-T399. He had problems texting so he brought it to the T-Mobile store. They gave it back to him with the "Firmware Upgrade Encountered An Issue" message on the screen. Kies and Odin seem to recognize the phone and I can probably get it running again but I need the address book off it and it seems like the utilities will wipe the data. Is there any procedure you think could help?

I don't think Kies will wipe the phone (and should offer a backup function anyway) but if you have to use Odin I believe that will.
Take it his contacts aren't backed up to Google?

Kies doesn't recognize it as a "phone". It tries to connect but the phone is not a running OS. I can do "emergency firmware..." (I forget the exact term) but it warns me about wiping data. I was told the contacts aren't in google but may have to check myself. Also the SIM is missing so I can't check that for contacts. My assumption is they were on the phone.

It's a worst case scenario. He has his SIM in another phone and incoming calls don't register with names so the contacts aren't on the SIM. I just got into his GMAIL account and there's no contacts there either.

Does anyone have a "pull a rabbit out of a hat" magic trick that could get me in to get contacts? Could I plug the phone into a linux machine and pull a file off it?

Back
Top Bottom