• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Lollipop is here ... sort of.

lunatic59

Moderati ergo sum
Just by chance I ran across a thread in another forum where a user was asking for help with a SM-P600 running stock lollipop. I thought WTF? Did Samsung finally release this?

It turns out they did ... one version for Spain released on 11/04. P600XXUDOJ3 I'm not sure if a U.S. version is forthcoming, but based on reports from other impatient and frustrated users, this supposedly works just fine on US models. (and I would assume UK, and most other variants, too.)

So, I flashed it with Odin, fully expecting it to be a fresh factory firmware install. But to my amazement, it updated my existing install to Android 5.1.1, updated Google Play Services and then "optimized" (recompiled for ART) all my apps.

Now I got me some Lollipop and it seems much faster. :D

Screenshot_2015-11-19-10-16-00.png

Last edited:
After 2 days with Lollipop, I can honestly say it's a big improvement all around. Performance is faster, battery lasts longer, new features are a blessing. I will be keeping this for at least another year rather than retiring it.

I was expecting it to, but it didn't for me. It was as if I applied an OTA. Of course, complete backups are recommended just in case.

BTW you will lose root.

Losing root would be expected, but, and I'm going to have to put this under a spoiler tag as it's not something I really want to admit...
...I've not actually rooted it!!
(Though I was planning to if a 5.1 update came out/I gave up waiting, whichever happened first)

TBH, I did root mine but I cannot for the life of me remember why. I think I was getting tired of being left behind on updates and was, in a moment of frustration, going to flash a rom, but i didn't want to lose s-pen, so i chickened out.

Look at the PDA# ... both the same so Cellular South and Canada use the same version ... for a WiFi only device? :confused:

BTW, battery life has improved exponentially. :D

jV-E1pJtdnjUvwxHH2047iU5SddZ2NmGKwNYoNYxgBNmuwIbQKJakxvOJgzjRYFb1Rvy0X2yno-esd5inTYc5aZR4tw4FVKFglnt1Nn2n-cgWBfwI8NkqnfxKB_fogK6GeeE5slb5b0BO0R43x440mnSzfDjJnXsvZHodWpiKO3Y-RSIOqzuJHYbHls7fMdGWrBwm2MzZUcteBtbC5R2ly-BAeM-XVX4dbYNZEgvQ8ppileHUx7pyfNJ26luE8kjhD2tJJVGFpe-qqhzKFWjXV99fMGhSCFEpQjSB6DKkHHPN9gOe5d2ruafeFXuh0fXt7nIOSYFZ_nPA2LxsN9nHnXYHQIOS5ZHnUBgB1RBERLddBDc4SkPgAhpOgER5yp4b30Ngz8dX95BUyfuJrgBwSi82Rd3jCGQAPXHMYVGrevzYwL8obZipQ5-mRy3XZit9FpNYxp1MfUJzsgHDCUmDqbx17TVNaQjuujWcj5Gnma1baHz3Wv95wrFohDlkbHd_bq2-YgZ-zXj8TxxsfdWG4yexdmwaQA913_vtaEiz-M=w1298-h811-no

My guess is that the image also works for the SM-P605 which would make sense if it was on Rogers in Canada, but Cellular South (C Spire, now) is a CDMA network provider.

6a0115723f19a6970b0162fc08eb1b970d-800wi

How would I go about finding and applying this update? I have never rooted (and I see you all haven't done so with this tablet), but I still want to make sure I do this correctly, as I've only every updated when prompted. Any help would be appreciated.

First, the good news is you don't have to root. It's a fairly straightforward procedure. You download the firmware file from sammobile.com and Odin. Then you put the tablet into download mode, plug it in to your PC (You need a PC because Odin is Windows only) and if it's recognized, you find the file with odin, press start and let it go.

That's the Reader's Digest condensed version. Of course there's a little more to it, but if it sounds like something that would make you nervous, then you might want to wait a little longer. It does look like the updates are slowly rolling out.

Now, if you want to give it a shot I can give you a step by step.

First, the good news is you don't have to root. It's a fairly straightforward procedure. First you download the firmware file from sammobile.com and Odin. Then you put the tablet into download mode, plug it in to your PC (You need a PC because Odin is Windows only) and if it's recognized, you find the file with odin, press start and let it go.

That's the Reader's Digest condensed version. Of course there's a little more to it, but if it sounds like something that would make you nervous, then you might want to wait a little longer. It does look like the updates are slowly rolling out.

Now, if you want to give it a shot I can give you a step by step.
Yes, I'd like to try it. If there's a link you can point me to so you don't have to write the whole thing out, i'll take it.

Sure, let me look, but typing it out won't be that hard, besides, ask anyone. I'm a blowhard. :D

First let's verify the model number of your tablet and your current firmware. You can get that by going to settings>general tab>about device. And you have a PC (Windows 7 will be best).

Once you verify that you indeed have the SM-P600 and you are on Android 4.2.2 (I think that was the last Kit Kat version) then we can proceed to the fun stuff.

Ah, you did the 10 thing already. It should be okay as long as your tablet is recognized. Let's check that first. Put your tablet into download mode by turning the tablet off. Then press and hold power + home + vol. down. It will give you a prompt about entering download mode and press vol. up to confirm, or volume down to chicken out. ;)

Remember on the tablet down is left and up is right in landscape mode, exactly the opposite from a phone where up is top and down is bottom when held in portrait mode and the buttons are on the right. It always messes me up. If you get to the recovery screen instead of download mode, it messed you up too.

Once in download mode, plug it into your PC using, hopefully, the OEM cable. Samsung products are very fussy about cables. If you get that Windows tone that says a USB device has just been plugged in and ... you know what? give me a minute. I'm going to reboot my PC into Windows 10 so I can tell you exactly what to look for. I'm running linux at the moment.

(told you i was a blowhard, but worse ... a geeky blowhard. At least I don't live in my parent's basement ... I own my own basement!! ;) )

Okay, sorry. Windows 10 was doing some updates and it was taking forever so i grabbed something to eat.

Great news, though. The tablet was recognized, proper drivers were installed and Odin found it (after about a minute ... so give it a minute).

First go get Odin from the link above. It will be zipped, so unzip it. Create a folder just to keep things organized.

Now the firmware. I used the one for Spain because that was the only one available at the time that was 5.1.1. I'd guess the ones for Canada and Cellular South would work, too but I cannot guarantee that so just download the one from Spain. That one I know works in the U.S. (You are in the U.S., right? Although for wifi-only devices I really don't know why it would matter.) Link above. Oh, just a word of warning, unless you pay sammobile for a premium connection the download will be SLOWWWWWW (like take two hours no matter how fast your internet connection is.)

When you have that downloaded, throw that in the same folder as Odin.

Now ... with the tablet in download mode (you'll see the Android robot with the word "downloading ..." on the screen.) plug it in. Then launch Odin as an administrator. You will see a note in the column on the left that says "added" and the first block above it will turn blue and show a COM: connection.

Once you see that, check the box next to AP and then click on AP and you'll be prompted to find the firmware file. The file ends in MD5.

Odin will check the file's integrity so it could be a minute or two. Once it says the file is good in the column on the left, then all you do is press the start button. Let it do it's thing and it will reboot your tablet when done.

A couple of points. First, this updated my tablet, it wasn't a clean reflash of the whole system (I didn't lose any data or apps) But don't take any chances ... BACK UP EVERYTHING FIRST!!!

Second, once you flash this update it will recompile all your apps (it will say optimizing) for ART (Android Run Time) which replaced Dalvik in 5.x. This can take a while.

Finally, before you start, make sure you have a full charge. All this stuff puts a serious drain on the battery and the USB cable plugged into a PC doesn't provide enough amperage to charge it.

Good luck. :D :thumbsupdroid:

No problems. You can even do a practice run ... do everything described above, except DON'T press the start button in Odin. At that point you have done nothing to your tablet, so you can unplug it, press and hold the power button until it reboots and you'll be safely back in good old 4.4.2 :) If you run into any stumbling blocks, then ask away. I'm here all week. :D

IF you can get that far, then you should be safe to press start and have your tablet upgraded to 5.1.1.

An additional word of caution, if and when you press the start button and odin begins the flashing process, do NOT unplug your tablet, turn off either your PC or tablet until it's finished. It should only take a minute or two.

Well @lunatic59, Lollipop was available for download when I turned it on tonight , so my tablet is updating now. I must confess, I'm disappointed AND relieved, lol. Thank you so much for your help! You're def my go-to guru from now on.

That's both good and disappointing news. ;) I'm glad that the updates are rolling out in the US and that you've got it, but you're missing all the fun of flashing. I had your honorary pocket protector all ready for you ... and a roll of complimentary duct tape. :D

You know, being in these forums is making me more curious about all of that stuff lol. How do you feel about introducing me to rooting. I've got an M8 I could practice on

Never rooted an HTC myself, but there are gurus here just for that. Want me to stalk one ... sneak up behind him and shoot him in the ...um ... upper thigh ... yeah, let's go with thigh ... with a tranquilizer dart?

Back
Top Bottom