• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Note not working on 3G and 4G AT&T

jmhy

Lurker
I bought and used a Korean version of Galaxy Note (LTE with DMB) on SKT network in Korea for a while. I liked it so much that I decided to use back home (USA) on my ATT 3G unlimited plan I keep for iPhone 3GS.

Back home, ATT store rep provided me with a sim card, which worked fine for voice. But the internet speed is only 44 kbps with 'G' sign on the top notification area. I tried a lot of APN settings, reboots and hours of tech support form both ATT and SKT in Korea. No success so far.

SKT tech support said the phone carries neither country lock nor carrier lock, which seems to be true considering I can use voice on ATT without any problem. They insisted that I need to talk to ATT. When I tried to replace LTE B5 band originally set by SKT (?) with other LTE or WCDMA in the 'band selection', it won't allow it. Only 'Automatic' and 'GSM All' are possible to select. I used SGS Secrete Code app.

Phone info:
PDA : E160S.EK25.0152
PHONE : E160S.EK24.1917.ST
MOVINAND : EK25
BUILD : Fri Nov 25 01:58:03 KST 2011

I wonder if the hardware itself has limitation or it can be solved by some kind of setting or software approach. Please help.

BTW, I like the phone very much. I think it's a tablet killer.

Try this one. If it does not work then has to be the LTE version not supported by ATT network.

Name: ATT
APN: Phone
All others: not set

APN: phone in place of APN: wap.cingular

APN: Phone
All others: not set

Tried both but just about same speed 600-700 ms ping and 30-40 kbps download

Does the phone have At&t's 850 & 1900 UMTS radios? If not, apn settings changes are not going to make it work.

This is what I get.

Cellular+Phone
Cellular-Networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850, UMTS1900, UMTS2100
Cellular-Data-Links: GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+

Secondary:Cellular;Phone
Dual-Cellular+Network;Operation: Parallel operation
Secondary_Cellular:Networks: LTE 800, LTE 1800, LTE 2600
Secondary:Cellular;Data-Links: LTE

Based on those specs, you should get 3G on AT&T, if you are in an AT&T 3G area (my phone switches from 2G to 3G inside my new office building, but full bars 3G in parking lot...just sayin).

At this point, if your other AT&T devices are connecting to AT&T 3G in the same area, I would delete the APN entry, re-boot the phone, and then recreate a new APN entry using the settings posted above...however I would leave the "username" and "password" settings blank. The APN "entry's" name can be arbitrary, such as "elephant"...just try to name it something new. However the "APN name" must be the same, "wap.cingular".

That said, if you even have a data connection, APN settings are not the issue, as you would not be able to connect at all if something was incorrect.

The LTE will never work on AT&T as they have LTE bands in the lower 700 range.

I tried as you suggested, but no luck. Would it be a possibility that ATT throttles my bandwidth because I am on unlimited plan or because my phone is registered no name phone on their system?

Thank you anyway, colnago.

I tried as you suggested, but no luck. Would it be a possibility that ATT throttles my bandwidth because I am on unlimited plan or because my phone is registered no name phone on their system?

Thank you anyway, colnago.

I've got a T-Mobile branded Defy/Tab 7.0 Plus on At&t, and both run on At&t's 3G on the MediaNet unlimited plan, using the settings above. My N900 and T-Mo Sensation 4G both only connect at Edge speeds, due to the lack of required radios. I'm not sure if you're on a "throttleable unlimited plan", as I thought AT&T just charged you for going over the soft cap...if you've been using alot of data.

FWIW, my co-worker was throttled with his Note this month, on a smartphone plan, whereas another co-worker regularly goes over 5gig on MediaNet with an unlocked Nokia, and is never throttled.

My only question again is are there any other At&t phones on 3G where you are?

colnago,

I am using at most 800-900 MB per month. I have two other plain phones, not smartphones, on my family plan. I found both phones' APN are wap.cingular and they both show 3G sign on their notification area.

Korean LTE is a different freq band so it will not work on AT&T. The 3G should with proper settings as per this forum. Always check before ya buy. Should have waited for the AT&T branded model. As soon as that is released (hopefully within a month), I'm jumping ship from Verizon just to get the SGN. Reports indicate ICS update for the SGN by March.

ronhoney,

But I have expected ATT 3G to work at least, while LTE is a long shot. I bought Korean version becaue I work half of my time in Korea and I needed DMB available only on Korean version. Since other Note versions made for other Asian countries and European countries work perfectly on ATT 3G, I am hoping as long as the limitation is not in hardward.

I'm new here and contemplating getting a UK version unlocked Galaxy Note. Will this work fine with T-Mobile's 4G network?

Please advise. Thanks! I apologize to the OP for the threadjack.

I bought and used a Korean version of Galaxy Note (LTE with DMB) on SKT network in Korea for a while. I liked it so much that I decided to use back home (USA) on my ATT 3G unlimited plan I keep for iPhone 3GS.

Back home, ATT store rep provided me with a sim card, which worked fine for voice. But the internet speed is only 44 kbps with 'G' sign on the top notification area. I tried a lot of APN settings, reboots and hours of tech support form both ATT and SKT in Korea. No success so far.

SKT tech support said the phone carries neither country lock nor carrier lock, which seems to be true considering I can use voice on ATT without any problem. They insisted that I need to talk to ATT. When I tried to replace LTE B5 band originally set by SKT (?) with other LTE or WCDMA in the 'band selection', it won't allow it. Only 'Automatic' and 'GSM All' are possible to select. I used SGS Secrete Code app.

Phone info:
PDA : E160S.EK25.0152
PHONE : E160S.EK24.1917.ST
MOVINAEND : EK25
BUILD : Fri Nov 25 01:58:03 KST 2011

I wonder if the hardware itself has limitation or it can be solved by some kind of setting or software approach. Please help.

BTW, I like the phone very much. I think it's a tablet killer.

See this link and change your APN name: AT&T Wireless- PDP and APN Types

Will this work with AT&T's HSPA+ network?

Yes it'll work. Mine works great after putting in at&t's data network settings

APN: wap.Cingular
Proxy: (left blank)
Port: (left blank)
Username: (left blank)
Password: (left blank)
Server: (left blank)
MMSC: http://mmsc.Cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.Cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: none
APN type: internet + mms

Hello,
Ive got a galaxy note from korea skt..
But when I tried to put the micro sim of a Bell Mobility it would not work.. it just says 'no service'.
But on a Rogers mobility sim. it seems to work fine.
Please help!!

Back
Top Bottom