• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 or Galaxy S6???

parag1dubey

Android Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2012
India
Hello everyone... I am not exactly new here.. Its more a case of homecoming ... ;) :)
A shoutout to the old hands.. Hawker, Ironass, Syd, et al... Hope you all are doing fine and in good health..
Now, on to my query.. I hope that i am posting this in the right forum...

The short question is whether a Galaxy S5 (the Exynos variant, which is the only one available in India) is still a good buy? Or whether an S6 is the right choice? To give you perspective, I will be switching from an iphone 6 (Dont shoot me yet, i was issued one at work ;)) .... Ironass, i noticed that you are still rocking a galaxy S5.. What are your thoughts on it? How long will it be supported with updates, Marshmallow, etc?

Amongst the many problems i faced with iphone was that i was issued a 16gb model and it ran out of space regularly every so often.. Iphone apps are typically larger in size and build up enormous caches over time, with no way to clean them without jailbreaking. For instance, at this moment on my iphone, whatsapp is taking up 1GB of space, which is ridiculous. Thats the reason, I am hesitant about the S6 which has no expandable storage. Also, the smaller battery capacity than the S6, coupled with a QuadHD display gives me pause.. Any comments in this regards are welcome...
I like the stripped down version of Touchwiz on the S6. Has Samsung made the same available on the S5 as well, including theming support? That would certainly help..
It would be great if you all could weigh in with advice. Its a fairly large investment to make, since in India, we have to buy phones outright and there is no such thing as carrier contracts. Any help is deeply appreciated..
Thank you all ....
Hoping to return to the android fold (greener pastures) after a gap of 2 years.. :) :) :) :)

(Wake up ironass, it must be past 5 am in your corner of the world... Help a friend in need) :D:D:D:D)

Hello everyone... I am not exactly new here.. Its more a case of homecoming ... ;) :)
A shoutout to the old hands.. Hawker, Ironass, Syd, et al... Hope you all are doing fine and in good health..
Now, on to my query.. I hope that i am posting this in the right forum...

The short question is whether a Galaxy S5 (the Exynos variant, which is the only one available in India) is still a good buy? Or whether an S6 is the right choice? To give you perspective, I will be switching from an iphone 6 (Dont shoot me yet, i was issued one at work ;)) .... Ironass, i noticed that you are still rocking a galaxy S5.. What are your thoughts on it? How long will it be supported with updates, Marshmallow, etc?

Amongst the many problems i faced with iphone was that i was issued a 16gb model and it ran out of space regularly every so often.. Iphone apps are typically larger in size and build up enormous caches over time, with no way to clean them without jailbreaking. For instance, at this moment on my iphone, whatsapp is taking up 1GB of space, which is ridiculous. Thats the reason, I am hesitant about the S6 which has no expandable storage. Also, the smaller battery capacity than the S6, coupled with a QuadHD display gives me pause.. Any comments in this regards are welcome...
I like the stripped down version of Touchwiz on the S6. Has Samsung made the same available on the S5 as well, including theming support? That would certainly help..
It would be great if you all could weigh in with advice. Its a fairly large investment to make, since in India, we have to buy phones outright and there is no such thing as carrier contracts. Any help is deeply appreciated..
Thank you all ....
Hoping to return to the android fold (greener pastures) after a gap of 2 years.. :) :) :) :)

(Wake up ironass, it must be past 5 am in your corner of the world... Help a friend in need) :D:D:D:D)

Hello parag1dubey old son!

I wondered how long it would be before we saw you again after your foray into the iPhone.

I will try and give you a brief and concise answer.

The Galaxy S5 will be receiving Marshmallow, some time in Q1 or Q2. It does not, at this stage have the theming abilities of the S6 but that is a fairly simple mod as is the launcher.

The S6, for me, does not offer any big leap and I have chosen to bypass it, preferring instead to stick with the S5 with removable battery and expandable memory, 128GB on mine. It is proving to be a good, reliable, workhorse of a phone and as it is not saddled with tons of carrier bloatware, and has an excellent battery life.

Since the Galaxy S5 is an older phone than the S6 and taking into consideration that you will have to buy it outright, you will get, as our American cousins say, "More bang for your buck", with the S5. There are plenty of rooting and custom ROMs around to keep the S5 going for at least a couple of years or more. Having said that, apart from a brief period on the stripped down CyanogenMod custom ROM, I have stuck with the stock Samsung TouchWiz firmware as it is so good on my unbranded U.K. model, G900F.

Reactions: parag1dubey
Upvote 0
Thanks for the answer ironass.. Good to hear from you.. And yes, I will get more bang for my buck with the S5 seeing as it is way cheaper than the S6.. But, what has me in two minds, is that the S6 has arguably the best camera on the market..... Not to mention the fingerprint sensor which is light years ahead of the one on the S5.. A sales rep tried to guide me towards the LG G4 saying that it had both a removable battery, sd card slot and a bigger display and a marshmallow update was due next week... But honestly, as compared to the superamoled panel of galaxy S6 the lcd of the LG G4 failed to impress.. Further the nexus 6p is coming to India next week, speaking of which what do u think of the new nexi (nexuses ;) :p))
Speaking of iPhone, i ought to say that in its own limited way, it's an ok device.. Once u realize that there are certain things it doesn't have, like true multitasking, the ability to function as an independent device ( without iTunes), the fact that it doesn't have smart dialling in this day and age, u kind of get used to it.. Its like existing inside a beautifully designed cage.. After a while, u forget it's a cage.. Oblivious of the fact that you are a prisoner.. Kind of like the guy in Shutter Island...
Anyway, hopefully, greener pastures await.. Have a great Sunday.. [emoji868][emoji868][emoji868][emoji868][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones