• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S7 Edge, factory reset, phone locked. "FRP"

Papamalo

Android Enthusiast
Hello all.
I recently received a used at&t Galaxy S7 (variant SM-G935A) that hadn't been used in over a year, and was looking forward to using it. The previous owner, was elderly, didn't like smart phones to begin with, and doesn't remember any password. I factory reset it, and was preparing for a lifetime of joy and happiness with my new S7 Edge, When I encountered this message:

"This device was reset, To continue, sign in with a google account that was previously synced on this device"

I tried numerous sign in's all to no avail, and the previous owner doesn't even remember the password, (Probably why I was given this phone) so now I am stuck with a beautiful looking brick. After the factory reset, I assumed it would be blank and that I could sign in with my google account, but that is not working. I've seen a few "FRP" solutions, that include downloading apk's, but some of the sources look questionable.
I was thinking maybe I'd have to re-familiarize myself with the ODIN panel, or something else like that, but for now I appear stuck.

Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?
thanks!
PM

Well sad news to tell you FRP (Factory Reset Protection) is a security to protect a previous owners data, however you can try downgrading the device to a lower firmware and possibly reset and erase FRP to sign in using odin, but theirs still a chance frp is still tripped, id love to say good news but unless you know the last owner(s) google login info you basically just have a paper weight thats built as a phone

I think I will quiz them for a while and try to get them to remember.
If I do find the proper log in, can I later remove their account info and replace it with my own, or am I stuck with their info on my phone no matter what I do?
Thanks.
PM

And yet I was surprised to see that massive AT&T bloatware on the phone.Also the oppressive AT&T overlords logo is on everything.
I guess I need to root it. been years since I've done that.
Any suggestions?
Thanks again. really looking forward to a Samsung! (again)

And yet I was surprised to see that massive AT&T bloatware on the phone.Also the oppressive AT&T overlords logo is on everything.
I guess I need to root it. been years since I've done that.
Any suggestions?
Thanks again. really looking forward to a Samsung! (again)
yep i always go to xda for root guides, recoveries, and custom roms. it is a great developers forum.

here you go:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/guide-how-to-root-android-8-0-oreo-t3840271

Back
Top Bottom