• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Tab S5e won't connect to my home WiFi

buck flicks

May 6, 2010
Hello,
I have the new Galaxy Tab S5e (there is no sub-section for this device yet.)

I got it on Friday and started to set it up, but it wouldn't connect to my home WiFi (Spectrum lease modem.) It does not give an error message, it just keeps trying to connect over and over. This is both on my 2.4gHz and 5gHz networks. All my other devices connect to it with no problems, including my old Galaxy Tablet. This tablet has connected to both the hot spot on my Note 8 Phone and the open WiFi at my work. I haven't been able to try it on another secure WiFi connection yet.

Here are the fixes I have already attempted: Reboot the tablet. Restore the tablet. Turn on airplane mode. turn off airplane mode. Turn off WiFi and turn back on. Force a static IP. Change the DNS server settings for the network. Reboot the modem. Restore the modem to factory defaults. Change the network to open. Change the encryption security to different types. Change the broadcast channel on the modem. Spend an hour on the phone with Samsung tech support. Spend 2 hours chatting with Spectrum tech support. They both basically gave up and said, "I don't know what's wrong with it. It should be working."

I need to go to bed now, but my options left as I see them: Swap my modem for a new one with Spectrum. Buy my own cable modem. Run my old WiFi router off my Spectrum modem using it as a bridge.

Anyone have any advice?

Yes, I rebooted the router (modem/router one unit.)

I thought it might have been too many devices connected to the WiFi, but even after I restored it to factory settings and there were no other devices on it, it wouldn't connect.

I connected my old wi-fi router to the Spectrum modem via CAT-5, and the tablet connected to it just fine. It's also connected to every other Wi-Fi network I've tried to connect it to without any hassle. I don't think it's a problem (solely) with the tablet.

Upvote 0
So I'm also having this same problem and I have been able to connect to other wifi sources than spectrum. I don't know how widespread the problem is because this is the only forum I can find this issue on. I'm sure spectrum normal tech support wont be much help and there haven't been any updates for the s5e that I have seen yet either to possibly make it compatible. I wish more people had this issue so it could get some attention.

Upvote 0
I have never initiated any sort of IP filtering within my modem/router settings. But I don't see how that would deny access to my WiFi from a tablet that isn't using a static IP. It simply won't connect. I also assume that I would get some sort of error message when attempting to connect, instead of it just constantly trying to connect with no message. And would IP Filtering still allow all other devices to connect (also without static IPs?) I'll check my router settings when I get home, but I'm skeptical that this is the culprit.

Upvote 0
As an update to this for anyone still interested, I decided to bypass any and all tech support options because they are typically daunting at the onset. What I did was stopped in to spectrum and swapped out my modem router combo unit. They told me that those units are bad anyway and they are no longer doing combo units, instead I got 2 separate devices that now fully function as my network and my s5e connected immediately. Hope this helps someone out there.

Reactions: mikedt and Dannydet
Upvote 0
I have the same issue. I share an apartment and my Tab S5e will not connect to the wifi. It tries to connect, accepts the password, but then stops until it tries again and so on. My phone, Galaxy S9+, and all roommates don't have any issues connecting. Right now I'm on a bus and my phone connected to the bus wifi right away and my tablet doesn't even see the network.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. I share an apartment and my Tab S5e will not connect to the wifi. It tries to connect, accepts the password, but then stops until it tries again and so on. My phone, Galaxy S9+, and all roommates don't have any issues connecting. Right now I'm on a bus and my phone connected to the bus wifi right away and my tablet doesn't even see the network.
try rebooting the router. even though everybody else is connected, you should still reboot it.....seems silly but 9 times out of 10 your device will connect.

Upvote 0
Same issue. My new Galaxy Tab S5e connected to a dozen or more wifi's during my travels. But it would not connect to my Spectrum supplied Technicolor modem/router (combo unit). Other WiFi phones, tablets, laptops connected fine. The S5e went into a loop - connecting ... drop, connecting ... drop, etc. I pulled out my older Netgear router and the S5e connected to it, no problem. Called Spectrum and they came out and swapped out the combo unit for a plain modem. There must be some incompatibility between these 2 devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones