• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gamepad settings in Android - how to reset/remap?

nytrate

Lurker
Hi,

Hopefully this is the right place for my question, I have spent days trying to figure it out myself.

I am trying to change/delete/remap default gamepad hotkeys in Android.

I have a generic Android box hooked up to my television (AX9). Its not a great device, but it should do the trick. When I hook up a USB gamepad (that I can use on other Android devices, like Amazon Fire), the B and C buttons (and other buttons) have weird shortcuts/hotkeys. C brings up Chrome, B brings up some system app, etc.

I have tried multiple button mapping apps, but none of them are showing me these specific controls. At best they allow me to assign additional functions to those buttons, but I can't disable the default settings. I've emailed the manufacturer/distributor with no luck.

In settings, there is no gamepad option under languages and input. I've exhausted the settings menu looking for this.

Thank you very much in advance.

I'm not entirely sure you can without root unfortunately and even then it would be relatively complicated.

What type of pad is it? Maybe it has its own app you can use to configure it or have you already tried that?

It is a PC Logitech pad. I have not tried a Logitech app, I don't think it would work.

I have root on my device. I'm still having trouble. Maybe there is a config file I could manually edit?

In system/usr/keylayout folder you can find the default settings for input devices by it's own vendor id's. I think if you edit the correct files for your device, you can redefine the default setting as you want them to work. I can"t try it because i havem't got write permission for these files. If it works please let me know.

In system/usr/keylayout folder you can find the default settings for input devices by it's own vendor id's. I think if you edit the correct files for your device, you can redefine the default setting as you want them to work. I can"t try it because i havem't got write permission for these files. If it works please let me know.
you do not have write permission because your device is not rooted. you can't change any system files on an unrooted device. once a device is rooted then you can get permission to read and write onto the system partition.

you do not have write permission because your device is not rooted. you can't change any system files on an unrooted device. once a device is rooted then you can get permission to read and write onto the system partition.
Yes i know that. I cant find a tutorial to root my mecool m6. So i dont want to risk that i brick it.

Back
Top Bottom