• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GB ROMS not reading MP3 tags properly

SNeitzel

Android Enthusiast
I have seen a few posts in this sub forum about some people having trouble with GB ROMs not reading MP3 tags properly. (The_Chief , monsterenergy22 and bjamerican specifically) I came across something this weekend that you might want to look at.

I just flashed LGB 1.6 and in the process did some cleanup of my SD card including the music I had on there. When I launched the new music player I noticed a few of my songs were "unidentified" and had no artwork associated with them. Knowing these same files had worked before, I figured it was the same issue mentioned by those above.

There were 2 full albums that were incorrect and a single song from a 3rd album as well. I went into iTunes and checked them all, tags and artwork were there. I recopied them to the phone multiple times and deleted the music player's data multiple times and could not get them to show up properly. I tried converting the tags to different versions, didn't work. I even tried the old music player, the MIUI player and Power amp as well, none worked.

Later on, by chance, I happened to notice when iTunes was bringing up the artwork for the 2 full albums it took a few seconds. Most other albums loaded immediately. I then realized, back when I ripped those albums, I could not find artwork online for them and has scanned the covers myself resulting in rather large .jpg files. I went online and found new artwork that was much smaller (300K vs 3.2MB). I once again recopied those files to my phone, deleted the music player's data and magic. The files from both albums were read correctly. I also checked the one individual song that was incorrect and found I had 3 copies of the same artwork on that file. Deleting 2 of them fixed the issue there as well.

So, I'm, wondering if any of you who have had issues with GB ROMS reading MP3 tags could take a look at this and see if this fix applies to you?

The only GB rom that has correctly read my music tags is the LiquidGB roms. Now Im not sure if thats because I use the MIUI music player in the rom, or if it something additional in the rom itself.

I am still convinced this issue is related to album art in the mp3 files.
After getting LGB 1.6 to read all of my music correctly, I had no issues in LGB 1.65 or in LGB 1.7. Both of those read everything correctly the first time.

So this morning I tried an experiment. I grabbed an album folder from iTunes that I have never put on my phone before, making sure that album had no extra artwork etc. The music app read the files properly. I deleted the folder from my phone and cleared the music player's data. Back in iTunes, I went in and added a bunch of extra artwork to those songs and even changed it so tracks 1-5 each had a different default pic. I copied the folder to my phone again and the music player did not read the files correctly. It recognized the track names and album name but the artist was Unknown and no album art. Deleted everything again, back into iTunes cleared the extra artwork and put things back the way they were. Copied the folder again and the files were read properly.

I am still convinced this issue is related to album art in the mp3 files.
After getting LGB 1.6 to read all of my music correctly, I had no issues in LGB 1.65 or in LGB 1.7. Both of those read everything correctly the first time.

So this morning I tried an experiment. I grabbed an album folder from iTunes that I have never put on my phone before, making sure that album had no extra artwork etc. The music app read the files properly. I deleted the folder from my phone and cleared the music player's data. Back in iTunes, I went in and added a bunch of extra artwork to those songs and even changed it so tracks 1-5 each had a different default pic. I copied the folder to my phone again and the music player did not read the files correctly. It recognized the track names and album name but the artist was Unknown and no album art. Deleted everything again, back into iTunes cleared the extra artwork and put things back the way they were. Copied the folder again and the files were read properly.

How do you get rid of Album Artwork from itunes?

How do you get rid of Album Artwork from itunes?
If it's artwork downloaded automatically, just select the tracks, rt click and 'Clear Downloaded Artwork'. For artwork you added, select a single track, rt click, select 'Get Info', go to the Artwork tab and you have the option to add or delete artwork.

If it's artwork downloaded automatically, just select the tracks, rt click and 'Clear Downloaded Artwork'. For artwork you added, select a single track, rt click, select 'Get Info', go to the Artwork tab and you have the option to add or delete artwork.

I'll have to DL iTunes again I guess. crap.

SNeitzel:

Thanks for your input and attempts to troubleshoot this nerve-wracking issue.

I use the ^3 (Cubed) Player religiously. One of the FIRST things I did when I flashed a new Gingerbread ROM was to delete all the album art. Cubed allows that from within the app, as well as fetching the album art all over again.

My issue was with the exact same 419 songs losing tags across every GB ROM I tried. I do not understand how deleting the album art (all small files, thanks Cubed) would strip all the tags off of JUST those songs. Please clarify.

BTW I do not have iTunes, I can't STAND iTunes and I really don't want to USE iTunes LOL

...I do not understand how deleting the album art (all small files, thanks Cubed) would strip all the tags off of JUST those songs. Please clarify...
I wish I knew. It doesn't make sense to me either, I just happened to get things to work for me by trial and error. Looks like it was just dumb luck as it is not working for anyone else.

...BTW I do not have iTunes, I can't STAND iTunes and I really don't want to USE iTunes LOL...
Uncle Steve will hear about that!

Back
Top Bottom