• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gboard issue

SabrinaH

Lurker
Oct 23, 2019
I have always used Gboard. I recently upgraded to the note 10 and now Gboard is constantly inputting the last word I type into a new field when filling out information. For instance, if I'm shopping online and I'm filling out the payment or shipping page. I type my first name and when I move into the next field to type my last name, my first name is copied over. And then when I move into the address (after deleting the first name from the last name field and correctly young my last name) it copies my last name into the 1st line of the address field. This is rather annoying. I was filling out a job application earlier and it did those over and over. I can't find anything in the settings that would turn this off. It's not predicting the word. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I don't want to have to switch back to Samsung keyboard.

Welcome to Android Forums, SabrinaH! :)

I've never encountered, or even heard of, the problem you're having, but I imagine that it's incredibly annoying.

Let's check a few things, okay? For each, just skip it if you've already done it; if a step solves the problem, no need to keep reading!

- in System Settings, find Gboard (under Apps or Applications or similar) and clear its cache, then 'force stop'

- if that didn't work, repeat but this time clear its cache and data, then 'force stop'

- reboot the phone

- try a different keyboard; I use Hacker's keyboard, but any will do--it's just to confirm whether the problem is in Gboard

- try a different browser

Anything? Let us know!

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, SabrinaH!
smilie.png

I've never encountered, or even heard of, the problem you're having, but I imagine that it's incredibly annoying.

Let's check a few things, okay? For each, just skip it if you've already done it; if a step solves the problem, no need to keep reading!

- in System Settings, find Gboard (under Apps or Applications or similar) and clear its cache, then 'force stop'

- if that didn't work, repeat but this time clear its cache and data, then 'force stop'

- reboot the phone

- try a different keyboard; I use Hacker's keyboard, but any will do--it's just to confirm whether the problem is in Gboard

Anything? Let us know!

Thanks, I tried force stopping, clearing cache. I also uninstalled and reinstalled :( It doesn't happen with the Samsung keyboard. I'm at a loss. I will try the hackers keyboard. Hopefully, I can find another keyboard I like.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, SabrinaH! :)

- reboot the phone

Anything? Let us know!

Another Hacker's fan?

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Another Hacker's fan?
Have been--since its inception! :)

When forced to use Gboard, I'm lost. I don't know how to function without full computer keyboard keys. :thinking:

For those who aren't familiar with Hacker's, it's highly customizable; this is my current look/configuration--regular keys:

HackersKeyboard_1.jpg

...and keys obtained by pressing [Fn]:

HackersKeyboard_2.jpg

I love it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones