• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gear Live - where are these things sold?

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
Seriously I have looked all over town and can't find anything except Pebble, Gear 2, Neo and Fit. From these forums it seems they already launched, so where are they? Checked Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, even Walmart to no avail. It's getting on my nerves. Is there even a Wear ROM I can at least sideload onto my original Gear?

I refuse to buy online. I will only buy a device after testing in the store. I cannot tell from online photos the build quality or design, or the screen type and all the capabilities. Google as usual is vague about everything. Given where I work I need a proper comparison to my current Gear and other things like how does the battery hold up, given the screen never shuts off? What all can it do? Does the screen even have a backlight or color? Is it AMOLED?

I like the Gear Live as I cannot get into round screens as they look like Wozniak's Nixie watch and too old school. I just cannot find the darn things. Certainly they arent exclusive to online?

Upvote 0
Spoke with people in best buy corparate since I had trouble with my order and right now they can't keep them in stock, The warehouse gets some every day but by the end of the day they are sold out. Don't think it will be next year but going to take a while. The solution if you want one now order it from bestbuys website when they are available take free shipping and if you don't lke it return it to best buy.

Upvote 0
Two problems with that. Like buying online, I have no idea what I'm getting. Beyond always listening voice control what else does it do? Secondly there's that nasty open box policy of theirs. Plus we know how reliable their so-called Geek Squad protection is. I might get a cheap flimsy Pebble style bit of junk, or the battery will flat out burn to death since the screen always stays lit!

Perhaps you have more faith than i do but where i work it tends to destroy smartphones and cheaper smart watches.

Upvote 0
Until i know what the thing does compared with the Gear 2 other than full touch less control I cannot justify spending the money on it. I have no idea what it can do, or if it even is built to the same standard the Gear 2 is. What bugs me is that all sources say they are sold in Best Buy yet Best Buy told me 2015 before they actually arrive.

Upvote 0
Seriously I have looked all over town and can't find anything except Pebble, Gear 2, Neo and Fit. From these forums it seems they already launched, so where are they? Checked Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, even Walmart to no avail. It's getting on my nerves. Is there even a Wear ROM I can at least sideload onto my original Gear?

www.ebay.com

Upvote 0
Price won't mean a thing until I know what it can do. Are any features present in the Gear 2 missing (phone, texting, camera, heart rate, etc?) Or does it have many more features? What is the build quality and screen compared with the Gear 2? This is why it has to be demoed locally in store before I buy it. I'm just frustrated it's not being sold yet. I'm guessing that it simply hasn't launched officially yet?

I'm just not going to spend money and find that key features I use daily are omitted. Or that it eats batteries, depends on a Nexus 5, or is built like a flimsy Pebble watch. There are two things i like about it, mainly always listening voice control, but it's not worth sacrificing features i use.

Upvote 0
Both the Gear Live and LG G Watch are using the same Qualcomm 400 single core 1.2ghz CPU with 512mb of ram and 4gb of storage. They both have 9-axis accelerometer and gyroscope, plus a compass. This is where the similarities end. The LG G watch uses a 1.65" LCD display with a resolution of 280x280. The Gear Live has a 1.63" AMOLED display with a resolution of 320x320. The LG G watch has no buttons what so ever. If you power it off then the only way to power it back on is with its cradle or use a pin on the reset button on the back of the watch. The Gear Live has a small button almost hidden on the side of the watch. They both have pedometers, the Gear Live has a heart rate monitor. I like the charging cradle on the LG G watch better then the Gear Live charger that snaps on. Personally I like them both, but if I had to just pick one of them. Then I would go with the gear live because of the better sharper display and the heart rate monitor.

Upvote 0
Does the Gear live offer the remote control and camera? The ability to make calls? And how does the always on screen not kill the battery? The voice control is the feature I wish my gear 2 had, where saying an activation word wakes it up. But sacrificing key features won't work. This is why I need a store demo.

Tried Best Buy again, nothing. Just meta strata, gear 2 and fit, and three older Pebbles. That's it.

My original rooted Galaxy Gear still works partially (one microphone and the speaker is dead) and I'd try a Wear ROM if one existed. I could demo it without buying it sight unseen and regretting it, or waiting until 2015 which is the most recent date according to their Samsung dept. But so far no ROMs using Wear are on XDA

I need a comparison of features and specs between the Gear 2 and Gear Live. Comparisons with the LG G watch are moot since NONE of the Wear watches exist here.

Upvote 0
See Android wear offers something that no other smart watch platform has brought to the table before it. Android wear allows Android phone or tablet apps to inject Android wear functionality. So a developer doesn't need to actually create a separate app for the wear watch. They can just modify their existing phone or tablet apps. So in the example of the camera app, its the camera app on the phone that sends the functionality to the watch. There is no app on the watch for the remote camera shutter and picture viewer, its all on the phone. This is what makes Android wear shine against all other smart watches. I can pause Chromecast movies from the watch. There is no app on the watch once again. The same holds true for music as well. I can skip tracks on the watch, and once again there is no app on the watch for doing that. That's not to say that standalone apps are still supported on Android wear as well, just like the Gear, Gear 2, Gear Neo, and Gear Fit, or for that matter every other smart watch as well, like the pebble, Sony smart watch, I'm watch, and others. However with that said all of them have there own app stores. Android wear apps also reside in the same play store.
As far as making phone calls it works as far as dialing the contact or number, but you have to use the phone to talk. The always on works just fine. If you are expecting days out of it, then don't get it. I charge my phone every night, so then I just charge the watch at the same time.

Reactions: nickdalzell
Upvote 0
So there is no speakerphone on the watch? OK now I am happy to have got the Gear 2 instead. That phone through the watch has saved me countless times when the boss would call me when my hands were too full to pull my phone out of pocket and likely miss the call. I also don't use Play Store because it never works right 50% of the time and doesn't save the APK file. I use Amazon and 1 Mobile Market. So that reduces the benefit of the Wear.

Here's hoping they add voice triggers to the Gear 2 in an update. Tapping the home key or using the screen icon makes a nasty mark on the device. Voice control minimizes or eliminates smudges. The Gear 2 remote app works even if your connection to the phone is interrupted also

Upvote 0
So far the G watch is there but costing $299 and out of stock. Still not sure what I can and cannot do and whether or not it depends on Google which I don't want on my phone due to it being a data and battery hog along with Google apps being really unstable in my experience compared with more polished Samsung alternatives. I was not a fan of the G Watch dummy's cheaper plastic construction and lack of camera and IR blaster though.

Upvote 0
Little late to the party here....

I spent a good part of my morning yesterday going to several stores looking for the Galaxy Gear LIVE.

Nobody had it and most everyone never heard of it.

It's already been replaced by the Gear 2 and Gear Neo.

....which is unfortunate.

Yes, the Gear 2 and Gear Neo allow you to make and receive phone calls directly from the phone itself. The Gear 2 also has a camera.

However...

Samsung has dumped Android Wear for Tizen and that is a huge mistake. Anyone buying the Gear 2 or Gear Neo is getting the Tizen platform which shows very little promise for the future of smart watches. You won't have the power of GOOGLE NOW at your fingertips. Please be aware of that.

I finally found a Gear LIVE at a Best Buy store and bought it for $199.

I need to have Android Wear and that was more important to me than the camera or being able to make/receive phone calls from the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones