• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

General Charge Times

PSYB0RG

Dec 15, 2009
Georgia
I basically want to gather some info about your charge times. Mines is weird.
1st night, I let my phone die completely, recharged it while it was OFF. Less than 10 mins of being on MY charger, it said 18%....I couldn't believe my eyes...so I waited another 5-10 mins and it was at 30%

Last night, I let the phone die completely again, this time, I plugged it into the charger (and to keep accurate timings, I used my orig zmax stopwatch to monitor the time vs percentage charged at) and turned the phone ON while it charged....and it took 2 HOURS & 20 minutes for me to go from 1 to 100. I was slightly using the phone at the same time, downloading & updating apps for a few minutes)

So now, Im trying to kill my battery as fast as possible so I can use the stop watch to time everything while its OFF & charging. My gut tells me that this would be the fastest way to charge it with our chargers...any charger thats 2 amps really. Oh, let me also add to this that I was NOT using the charger that came with it, Im using the charge ports on my UPS...which is either 2 or 2.1 amps.

So what kind of times are you guys getting to go from dead to 100%?

I basically want to gather some info about your charge times. Mines is weird.
1st night, I let my phone die completely, recharged it while it was OFF. Less than 10 mins of being on MY charger, it said 18%....I couldn't believe my eyes...so I waited another 5-10 mins and it was at 30%

Last night, I let the phone die completely again, this time, I plugged it into the charger (and to keep accurate timings, I used my orig zmax stopwatch to monitor the time vs percentage charged at) and turned the phone ON while it charged....and it took 2 HOURS & 20 minutes for me to go from 1 to 100. I was slightly using the phone at the same time, downloading & updating apps for a few minutes)

So now, Im trying to kill my battery as fast as possible so I can use the stop watch to time everything while its OFF & charging. My gut tells me that this would be the fastest way to charge it with our chargers...any charger thats 2 amps really. Oh, let me also add to this that I was NOT using the charger that came with it, Im using the charge ports on my UPS...which is either 2 or 2.1 amps.

So what kind of times are you guys getting to go from dead to 100%?
Updates use the antenna at full blast, with apps downloading in the background and slight use the device uses anywhere from 500ma-1000ma (dont confuse mA with mAh) so doing some math, while charging while doing stuff the device charges at around 1500 mA-1860 mA. While doing nothing i assume anywhere from 1.9 amps to 2.1 amps (1900mA-2100mA). Keep in mind the stock charger is not a quick charger at all.

Upvote 0
Updates use the antenna at full blast, with apps downloading in the background and slight use the device uses anywhere from 500ma-1000ma (dont confuse mA with mAh) so doing some math, while charging while doing stuff the device charges at around 1500 mA-1860 mA. While doing nothing i assume anywhere from 1.9 amps to 2.1 amps (1900mA-2100mA). Keep in mind the stock charger is not a quick charger at all.

Oh, I was using Wifi btw while updating & downloading apps, I was under the impression that Wifi consumes less battery power...plus I have close to 400mb download, which i dont see a major increase in downloading apps :(

Upvote 0
Something to keep in mind is your phone's battery charging rate is not linear, it constantly varies depending on how depleted your battery is. If you plug your phone in to charge it and the battery is at say, 15%, it will pull in more current (amperage) than if you had plugged it in when it was only 80% depleted. Also, because it is not on a linear scale, the amount of time it takes to charge going from 15% to 25% will be shorter than when the battery is going from 85% to 95%.
Another thing to note is don't drain your battery to single digits, that's not good for the longevity of the battery itself. Best to top it off, as often as it's practical. Two or more times a day if you can. Your Zmax Pro doesn't have a user replaceable battery so it's even more important to practice good battery maintenance than with a phone that does.
http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_zmax_pro-8096.php
It does have a nice 3400 mAh rated battery so in a rough generalization (one amp = 1000 mA), any charger rated at 3.4 amps of current could (theoretically) be able supply your phone with a 'full' charge at all times. Most phone chargers are in the 2 amp range and that's fine, as it's really only when the battery is really depleted when it will actually require higher amounts of current. Most of the time a 2 amp (2000 mA) charger is adequate, as the battery won't need much more than that, unless you are draining the battery on a regular basis.

Upvote 0
Something to keep in mind is your phone's battery charging rate is not linear, it constantly varies depending on how depleted your battery is. If you plug your phone in to charge it and the battery is at say, 15%, it will pull in more current (amperage) than if you had plugged it in when it was only 80% depleted. Also, because it is not on a linear scale, the amount of time it takes to charge going from 15% to 25% will be shorter than when the battery is going from 85% to 95%.
Another thing to note is don't drain your battery to single digits, that's not good for the longevity of the battery itself. Best to top it off, as often as it's practical. Two or more times a day if you can. Your Zmax Pro doesn't have a user replaceable battery so it's even more important to practice good battery maintenance than with a phone that does.
http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_zmax_pro-8096.php
It does have a nice 3400 mAh rated battery so in a rough generalization (one amp = 1000 mA), any charger rated at 3.4 amps of current could (theoretically) be able supply your phone with a 'full' charge at all times. Most phone chargers are in the 2 amp range and that's fine, as it's really only when the battery is really depleted when it will actually require higher amounts of current. Most of the time a 2 amp (2000 mA) charger is adequate, as the battery won't need much more than that, unless you are draining the battery on a regular basis.
Yeah from 90-100 the voltage drops significantly

Upvote 0
https://kingroot.net/

upt to 976 ppls...not enough yet. Ignore all the Google warnings to install

One of the first things I do with a new phone within the first hour is go to Settings > Google > Security and turn off the "scan for security threats" option. I also enable unknown sources in Settings > Security and disable or uninstall Lookout Security because it is just an annoyance to me.

Upvote 0
One of the first things I do with a new phone within the first hour is go to Settings > Google > Security and turn off the "scan for security threats" option. I also enable unknown sources in Settings > Security and disable or uninstall Lookout Security because it is just an annoyance to me.
Lookout is annoying but i can't get over the fact that since I have the warranty (the one for damage and water or whatever) i have to have it. Why can't i just have the warranty for 3 bucks, paying an extra 3 bucks for a POS anti virus is annoying

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones