• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help General Consensus of the V?

Spykez

So a friend of mine is getting this phone probably monday and she's getting all freaked out about it wanting it. I've used the U and it was nice but never the V but apparentlt they've very very identical.

What is the consensus of you guys, do you like it? Performance? How do games like angry birds run?

I couldn't be happier with it although I'm coming from a Rumor Touch. I've had good battery, speed and a solid connection. No problem with Angry Birds either although I've only played it for about an hour.

I had a Droid 1, Droid Incredible, and Droid X. It runs as good, if not better, than the Droid 1 - thanks to the GPU. It's not the Inc or X, but it runs pretty darn close to them. Virgin isn't as solid as Verizon, but you get what you pay for. The 3G data has been a bit spotty at times, but not bad - again, I was spoiled with Verizon. Never had a dropped call, voice quality/volume has been excellent. Given that this phone starts with 2.2 and is likely to be upgraded to 2.3, and the development community is blossoming around it, I'm extremely pleased with it for the cost.

I've had the V for a week now, and coming from a dumb phone, I'm generally enjoying it a lot. The monthly price and features are great. I've had a few of the issues mentioned by most VM users, namely 3G dropping occasionally with no real indication other than stuff not working, but a quick switch in and out of airplane mode generally fixes that.

My one major disappointment so far is the battery life. I'm not expecting to get the same life out of it as my old phone (which could go for 5 or 6 days easy), but I think it's not unreasonable to be able to go 24 hours or so without charging. Unfortunately my battery seems to end up in the 10% range after 16 hours of extremely light use, with all the features (wifi, gps) turned off.

I'm probably going to end up exchanging this one to see if maybe I've just got a bad battery, but not sure if it's going to make a difference.

I've had the V for a week now, and coming from a dumb phone, I'm generally enjoying it a lot. The monthly price and features are great. I've had a few of the issues mentioned by most VM users, namely 3G dropping occasionally with no real indication other than stuff not working, but a quick switch in and out of airplane mode generally fixes that.

My one major disappointment so far is the battery life. I'm not expecting to get the same life out of it as my old phone (which could go for 5 or 6 days easy), but I think it's not unreasonable to be able to go 24 hours or so without charging. Unfortunately my battery seems to end up in the 10% range after 16 hours of extremely light use, with all the features (wifi, gps) turned off.

I'm probably going to end up exchanging this one to see if maybe I've just got a bad battery, but not sure if it's going to make a difference.

You won't really find an android that'll get 24 hours out of the battery unless you leave it idle. Welcome to having a smart phone lol. You might be able to get an extended battery. Also if you root run custom roms etc it can improve. I get about 12 hours out of my battery with my droid overclocked and heavy use throughout my work day including 2 hours straight of listening to music.

Might not be a bad idea. Though, as mentioned, 24 hours isn't likely, 16 hours of light use shouldn't get you that low either, though, unless it's really struggling to keep the 3G signal.

With my wife's phone, weird things were happening. The 3G dropping problem was horrible, which contributed to the battery life being horrible. She would be dead after 8 hours of, literally, no use. And she couldn't keep a 3G signal for her life - while my phone was working fine. We replaced it and it's been like night and day. Her first one was definitely a "lemon".

The battery life sucks on it until you disable data, or install Juice Defender + Advanced Task Killer. Now I can go 2-3 days without a charge, now that I just turn on data or wifi when I need it. I love my V, I would highly recommend it.

Angry birds gets a little laggy on some levels, but doesn't really affect gameplay. I turned off the background graphics in the settings, and it seemed to get a little better.

Thanks for the responses guys. She did a lil more research into it and she's gunna get it on Monday :) She's been on a "normal" texting phone for a while and has never owned a smartphone and she's getting overhwhelmed by all these apps available haha. She's been searching through the market picking out all the apps she wants.

Thanks for the responses guys. She did a lil more research into it and she's gunna get it on Monday :) She's been on a "normal" texting phone for a while and has never owned a smartphone and she's getting overhwhelmed by all these apps available haha. She's been searching through the market picking out all the apps she wants.

yes i cant wait to have it. after hours of research and reading what you guys said, it really did help me make a final decision. i hope i love this phone as much as everybody else :)

for $150 I don't think you can get a better phone, the phone is good but the plans are what makes the phone shine. I rooted mine installed a custom recovery and custom rom overclocked the cpu and this thing flies. My 3g isn't the best sometimes its a bit slow like 300kbps but it loads all my web pages fine.

I don't own a pc so everything I do is done from this phone. I highly recommend this phone to anyone who doesn't want to pay the high prices of sprint att verizon or t mobile

yes i cant wait to have it. after hours of research and reading what you guys said, it really did help me make a final decision. i hope i love this phone as much as everybody else :)

oh hey there haha, didnt' even know you joined up :) Well, I assume you know how to use message boards so, post away :) people here are generally really helpful

oh hey there haha, didnt' even know you joined up :) Well, I assume you know how to use message boards so, post away :) people here are generally really helpful

yes i see that, i know it will help me a lot if i have any issues with the phone :D

I dumped my EVO, paid an early ETF to sprint, and purchased a Screen protector for it. It's going to save me $600 a year! :)

I absolutely love the phone-much better than the intercept. With the intercept turning it on to being able to use it could take 2-3 minutes, the Optimus, 30-45 seconds or so.

I've been a Virgin customer for almost a decade and never had a dropped call. The 3G can be iffy-as I go into 1xrtt more than I like and they still have issues with picture messaging, but these are things I can live with.

I couldn't be happier with it although I'm coming from a Rumor Touch. I've had good battery, speed and a solid connection. No problem with Angry Birds either although I've only played it for about an hour.

I hear you. I am coming from a Rumor Touch, too, and hell, two tin cans and a string would be an improvement over the Rumor Touch!

I am ECSTATIC with my Optimus V. Of course, I have tweaked it and added a bunch of Management Apps to get better battery life (which I now do) AND using Quick Settings, I have turned the Optimus into a mobile Hot Spot. Yeah, the Hot Spot Speed is not great, but, in a pinch . . .

For the monthly price, this cannot be beat. I just wish Virgin Mobile had another pricing tier--instead of jumping to $40 for 1200 minutes, why not offer a $30 600 minutes. But hey, I can't complain, still waay cheaper than contract pricing.

i came from the intercept and this is for sure an upgrade, the 3g works great for me on calls and texts and mms. I dont use youtube on the streets so i dont mind the slow speeds, speeds work well enough for google maps and navigation so doesnt affect me.
angry birds runs great and doodle jump

I haven't played any games on it, but I love the phone. It's a big step up from my non-smart phone (Samsung Reclaim) and I prefer it over the Blackberry Storm that my wife has.

That said, it seemed to take more tweaking out of the box than it should have. I don't mind spending the time personally, but I don't know if my wife would deal with the hassle. The battery life was *terrible* until I made some tweaks based on what I saw on forums, and the Gallery app still runs out of control every once in a while.

After getting settings right to keep the data from draining the battery and installing a task killer to kill the Gallery app every once in a while, I'm thrilled with the phone. Great value for the price.

I almost bought a HTC Shift (before switching from Sprint to Virgin) because I prefer a hardware keyboard, but I've adapted pretty quickly to the touchscreen keyboard. It's a great deal. To get the equivalent phone (Optimus S), I'd be paying about $70/month instead of $25/month.

I rarely use over an hour of talk time but use a lot of data and texts, so the 300 minute plan is great for me.

i came from a iphone 3G (version 2) and i think it's better than that iphone. can't beat the price. i've added certain apps and curtailed my use to the point that i have overcome the "poor" battery life - easily lasts me most of the day but i have a car charger for my commutes. great phone in my opinion and great value with the VM plans.

yea the only reason why i have virgin mobile is because it is so much cheaper then then other plans. im a poor college student so i need every break that i can get. for the money its great service and they are starting to get better and better phones that flat out beats any other pre paid plan. iv had my new phone for a few hours now, and im already in love with it :)

Back
Top Bottom