• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get Location Config Step Operation Fails.

Hi folks...I have the Note 10+ and I got the Android 10+ update last night through AT&T. Now I keep getting a pop up that says..."Get Location Config Step Operation Fails." I figured I might have gotten some sort of corrupt file during the install so I did a hard reset today. I'm still getting the pop up. Any ideas?

Thank you!

screenshot will be helpful.

is the phone working normally otherwise?

when you did a factory reset did you resinall a backup or did you factory reset and re-built your phone from scratch?

when you see the message, how often does it pop up? does an icon appear in the notification area?

screenshot will be helpful.

is the phone working normally otherwise?

when you did a factory reset did you resinall a backup or did you factory reset and re-built your phone from scratch?

when you see the message, how often does it pop up? does an icon appear in the notification area?

Its hard to screenshot because it disappears. I reinstalled from a backup. There doesn't seem to be a pattern with it. Nothing in the notification area. It does appear to be working ok.

if you reinstalled from a backup, you are, in essence, reinstalling the issue. its best to factory reset and build from scratch. could be an issue with an app that's not yet compatible with Android 10.

I am having the same issue. I have the S7 Edge. I agree it's hard to take a screenshot. Will try and post one if I manage to get it. It just randomly started a couple days ago with no reason.

Even if I try to click it. It does nothing and cannot find anything else online yet that may solve it

Managed to get a screenshot of mine. Anyone have any clues?
All updates are done on my phone and settings are ok based on what I can check

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191224-105753_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20191224-105753_Samsung Experience Home.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,789
Did you just get an update? If so, it isn't uncommon to do what @marctronixx mentioned earlier.

Just checked the last software update for my phone.
Last update: Sept 5th 2019
Last checked was Dec 12th.
Did another check today and no updates available. Latest is installed.

Only thing that has been recent are the app updates. But never had an issue with any before.

I am unsure if it is linked to a specific app as the message comes with random times. And when I run different apps so it's not just 1 that is trying to find location.

I can see some apps not being compatible with Android 10 but having the S7 all apps have been out for a while now. I would expect them all to be compatible by now hahaha. Especially of they are available on the PlayStore.

Noticed that the ones that arent with the s7 the playstore wont let me install.

I did a device security scan and it came back clean.

I thought of doing the whole Factory Reset but if possible I would like to avoid it as it would be lots of apps and data to reload afterwards. Kind of leaving it as a last resort for now.

I havent noticed any issues with apps either. Just the message pops randomly

its for some random app you have on your phone. a factory reset is your only choice unless you can isolate and confirm the app or service that's causing the issue.

its for some random app you have on your phone. a factory reset is your only choice unless you can isolate and confirm the app or service that's causing the issue.

That's what I am hoping to find. I have not installed any new apps for about 3 weeks. This just started a few days ago.

Hopefully I manage to find a service or the guilty app.

Although nothing has gone crazy... it's just annoying to see the message pop up and as it seems a very random thing, it's definitely intriguing... Very little information about is out there too so that doesnt help lol

Ok so I may have a possible solution...

I haven't seen the message since earlier today...

@steelcowboy

Try this on yours and let me know if it works as well?

What I did is:
Went to my settings > apps > Google Play Services > storage >
This is a 2 step part

1st) click on
Manage storage > clear all data

2nd) the go back and click on
Clear Cache

That's what I've done so far and no issues. I would recommend restarting the phone as well.

If it returns I will post again and keep searching for a solution.

FireWolf1, I tried your fix. Hopefully it will work.

Earlier, I booted into "Safe Mode" for about half an hour and didn't see the message. Switched Safe Mode off and it came back. Could be a problem with a downloaded app.

Note 8
N950USQS7DSK6

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

So the issue has returned. I am on the search once again for a fix.

I still want to avoid a full reset of the phone.. will post again if I find something

This issue seems to be spread out between Samsungs S7 to S10 could just be an issue with Android software?? It would be nice to know or find a single app lol that has caused this issue

Last edited by a moderator:
The pop-up returned after clearing the cache for me as well.
This all started after the last OTA update.

I believe something in the update is causing the problem in communicating with a variety of downloaded apps, as the error didn't occur in Safe Mode.

The pop-up returned after clearing the cache for me as well.
This all started after the last OTA update.

I believe something in the update is causing the problem in communicating with a variety of downloaded apps, as the error didn't occur in Safe Mode.

It seems to be with any app that requires or has the "location" service enabled. Rather frustrating.
Hopefully Samsung releases a fix for it.

So I've been having this same issue since my Galaxy 10+ updated last week. My GPS overall seemed wacked. Read through this thread and thought I'd have to wait for another update till I read this webpage;
https://www.android.gs/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-s10-gps-location-not-working-error
I was sceptical because I'm getting the same error message you are but here's what I did.
Under settings>location>recent location requests>view all. Then force stopped all listed apps(I only had about 9). Then under settings>general management>reset>reset network connections>have to confirm then the device auto resets. It's been close to an hour now and that error message hasn't returned. I've opened all the apps that were listed before and still no error. If it comes back I'll post again and fingers crossed this helps the issues.

I haven't seen the error in a couple of days. Maybe it was an issue that was corrected by an app update.
Either way, I noticed my location history had been disabled for my device. I am a truck driver and share my location with my family across a few different apps, Google Maps being one.
I had to re-enable location history for my device in my Google Account.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200101-172911_Google Play services.jpg
    Screenshot_20200101-172911_Google Play services.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 964
I am glad your issue got fixed. I deleted BBM from my device.. that has stopped the message. There were some other regular app updates as well.

So i am not sure if it was bbm or one of the updates but mine hs not come up in a few days either. Crossing my fingers it doesnt return lol

Has anyone found a good fix for this error yet? It's not isolated to Samsung! I have a MotoZ3 and just started getting this error with a system update yesterday! It's very random and a little frustrating.

Has anyone found a good fix for this error yet? It's not isolated to Samsung! I have a MotoZ3 and just started getting this error with a system update yesterday! It's very random and a little frustrating.
it is frustrating, however it seems to be a random app for different people... for me it was the old BBM messenger (or so it seems so far as I haven't seen it since I deleted it)

was there any app downloaded with the system update?

Hi folks...I have the Note 10+ and I got the Android 10+ update last night through AT&T. Now I keep getting a pop up that says...'Get Location Config Step Operation Fails.' I figured I might have gotten some sort of corrupt file during the install so I did a hard reset today. I'm still getting the pop up. Any ideas?

Thank you!

I have the Note 8 and I got a security update.
My phone is doing the same error message about location fails an it keeps popping up and disappearing again.Do I need a new update to fix the first one??

I have the Samsung S10+ and am receiving the same pop up. My clock on my phone has also been going back an hour randomly the past couple of weeks.

yeah ive been getting that error
is this just a statement? or are you asking for help? remember the more details you give us, the better we can help you.

if you need help then, what phone do you have? when did this start happening? after an update? after you installed some apps? have you tried rebooting your phone?

Back
Top Bottom