• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

get the gnex or wait?

jarjar124

Android Enthusiast
I'm sorry mods if this doesn't belong here but i need people's opinion...should i wait for the next nexus phone or get the galaxy nexus now? the only reason why I'm getting it is because of t mobiles $30 4g(hspa+) plan and its cheaper than virgin mobile and faster in my area. the reason why i ask is because I'm afraid the next nexus phone is 4g lte and won't be compatible to be on the $30 plan since i don't see anyone with the latest phones(galaxy s3) on the $30 plan. i also heard the nexus devices would get updates to latest version of android. thanks

i say look at your current device and ask yourself if the G-Nex is a big enough upgrade. it looks like the answer is yes. and remember that the G-Nex OS will be updated and supported long into the future so you are somewhat future proof.

good luck!

I'm assuming since T-mobile doesn't sell the G-Nex, you are buying the phone off contract (that and the fact that the $30 is a no contract plan.) If that's the case, wouldn't you be able to buy a GS3 and activate it?

Nexus devices receive their updates directly from Google. They run the latest version of Android and receive them first.

I would bet that if the next Nexus device(s) is/are released in the fall, there will be a GSM/HSPA+ (if not the only unlocked version). I can't say anything about price or specs, but I'm sure they will be competitive.

Bottom line, if you're looking for an off contract phone for a decent price, with competitive hardware and quick updates, and you want it now, the GNex is your phone. If you can wait until November/December, then waiting MIGHT be worth it.

You can get a GS3 if that is what you want, and put it on the $30 plan. The reason most people don't is that a GS3 is at least $600 (and likely $700 to get a phone with the right radios). Additionally, the GS3 with the radios that work on T-Mobile (need the 1700 MHz radio) do not come with LTE, just like the Nexus doesn't. So, the GNex is about half the price, neither have LTE, and has Jellybean already. Most people don't believe the GS3 is worth the extra money.

I have ATT and have the Gnex and I love it, that being said. I would rather have the Gnex over the SGS3. I have played with the SGS3 and it is a nice phone, BUT I HATE touchwiz and pretty much anything that is not stock. With no word as of yet with the next Nexus phone. I would buy the Gnex.

Down the road when the next Nexus phone is announced. You can sell your Gnex (in good condition) on eBay or somewhere and use that money for your next Google phone. At least that's my plan.

The unlocked GNex didn't appear in the US for almost 6 months after the contract-only Verizon version. Will that repeat with the next Nexus phone? Hopefully not, but who knows.

Are you willing to buy an int'l version with little/no support or warranty when the next Nexus arrives? How long are you willing to wait, and how much are you willing to spend to have whatever comes next?

I think the odds of getting a better phone at the same price as the GNex in the next three months is about zero. In the next 6 months? Maybe 50/50?

T-Mobile won't have LTE for probably another two years. So LTE support seems like a non-issue, not to mention TMo will be using a different frequency for it than Verizon or ATT. So an unlocked GSM phone that supports T-Mobile's LTE seems even less likely to appear any time in the next year or so.

You don't see S3's on the $30 plan because T-Mobile doesn't sell the phone outright. And if they did, it would be almost $700. But there's no reason it wouldn't work on their monthly plan if finished the contract on it or paid the ETF or something. Also, the T-Mobile S3 does not have LTE, FYI.

No to beat a dead horse here but you are talking about the $30 T-mobile plan here so money must be some kind of object for you. As has been pointed out before the next Nexus will not be close to $350 when it comes out.

So is money no object or are you willing to part with a large chunk of change at the end of the year?

I just bought a Gnex after having a G2X for over a year. I wanted a SG3 but dont want to pay over $600 for the latest. Plus there is no way I'm gettign into a two year contract with Tmo(never had a subsidized phone). $380 for a highend phone off contract is pretty damn good and the bonus of the lastest ICS update even better. No carrier/manufacturer tickering and being left out in the cold when the newest flagship comes out. I have been turned off by LG and if I am going andriod it will be a Nexus flaws and all.

Back
Top Bottom