• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting a new phone!

MoodyBlues

Compassion is cool!
My Moto Z² Force Edition, which I love, is only ≈6 months old, but for months I've noticed screen burn-in. I kept trying to ignore it, then today decided to call Motorola while its warranty is still good.

The person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about! I tried to explain that an image, like a ghost image, has burned into my screen. She asked what troubleshooting steps I had taken, and if they included a factory reset. :o

I explained that this is a hardware issue, and no amount of troubleshooting and wiping my data would solve it.

She's sending out a new phone...

I didn't even think burn-in was a problem any more, certainly not on smartphones. I think of it in terms of 'the olden days' with computer monitors. What's weird is that it happened at all, because I have the screen shut off after 5 minutes of inactivity, so it's not like it was left on overnight or something. *shrug*

That phone does have an AMOLED screen, and those can burn-in eventually. Just like a CRT. However only 6 months does sound very short, and should be under warranty.

I have seen burned-in Samsung AMOLED screens on demo devices in showrooms. But those are usually on full brightness continously 24/7.

That phone does have an AMOLED screen, and those can burn-in eventually. Just like a CRT. However only 6 months does sound very short
It does sound short--but it's actually worse than that. :o I first noticed it...back in...January... So at ≈2 months old. But I kept ignoring it. Or trying to.
and should be under warranty.
Yes, it is.
I have seen burned-in Samsung AMOLED screens on demo devices in showrooms. But those are usually on full brightness continously 24/7.
Right, I can see that happening, but I never leave its screen on, idle, for more than 5 minutes. I'm really surprised this happened.

You always hear reports of people who get early burn in whenever a new Samsung flagship is released, so I suspect that there are a few screens that for whatever manufacturing reason are susceptible in each batch. Hopefully you were just unlucky and got one this time.

Always keep the build in light down to around 5% sometimes, that can help out on duration of not having the screen burns though, but the very last thing, I am going to complain is sometimes mine does get over heated. But that is when I play with video games, or sometimes there are a few apps that can drain my phone's battery next to nothing, it has a few photographical apps on it, but none so far - HD Camera is the only case, it will really start to slowly just over heat.

Run at 5% brightness? That will surely reduce risks, but seems excessive, and frankly few people will want to look at a dim screen all of the time (my daughter runs her phone quite dim, but not that far, and I find it hard to see how she puts up with it). Those of us with older eyes certainly won't want to use a phone set to minimum brightness for long.

But burn-in in a few months is anomalous. My Pixel 2 I leave on auto but tweaked to a level that's comfortable for me (not max, but usually above 50%), and there's no trace of burn-in after 20 months. And I had an original HTC Desire (2010 AMOLED technology) that suffered no burn in after 3 years of use (though it did have a slight green tint by the end, due to the blue LEDs ageing faster, and this reduction in output as the LEDs age through use is the phenomenon behind AMOLED "burn in" effects).

Run at 5% brightness? That will surely reduce risks, but seems excessive, and frankly few people will want to look at a dim screen all of the time (my daughter runs her phone quite dim, but not that far, and I find it hard to see how she puts up with it). Those of us with older eyes certainly won't want to use a phone set to minimum brightness for long.

But burn-in in a few months is anomalous. My Pixel 2 I leave on auto but tweaked to a level that's comfortable for me (not max, but usually above 50%), and there's no trace of burn-in after 20 months. And I had an original HTC Desire (2010 AMOLED technology) that suffered no burn in after 3 years of use (though it did have a slight green tint by the end, due to the blue LEDs ageing faster, and this reduction in output as the LEDs age through use is the phenomenon behind AMOLED "burn in" effects).
I have blue light filter build in to this tablet. I will consider of getting it for my phone too. I sometimes just turn it on when I am photographing though. Varriations on how bright it is outside.

Oh, I played with that for a few weeks but decided that the colour shift just annoyed me (it's also turned off on my laptop after a few weeks of trialling it).

From time to time I see burn in when my note 8 switches screens. As soon as it appears or goes away. It's kind of weird, but I plan on getting the note 10 when it comes out. I just hope I don't get a complete burn until then.

Always keep the build in light down to around 5% sometimes, that can help out on duration of not having the screen burns though
You're nuts if you think my tired, old eyes can use a device set at 5% brightness! :o :D

Besides, this is hopefully just a fluke. My previous Motorola, which I still use, is 4+ years old and shows no sign of burn-in, nor have any of my earlier Motorolas.

New one came this morning! I've been playing with it pretty much all day.

I had specifically and clearly told the [clueless] rep that when I bought the original, I had AT&T and filled that in while ordering online, but that I NO LONGER have that carrier, I have Consumer Cellular. I said I did not want or need any AT&T apps, and I didn't want facebook or several other apps (which cannot be uninstalled). I didn't want bloatware! She assured me there'd be no unwanted apps. Care to guess?

Yep, it's full of unremovable AT&T and other apps, including that cesspool...facebook. Ugh!

Oh, well, I've got a shiny new phone in my hand. :) The old one's going out tomorrow--once I've obsessively checked enough times that I saved everything I wanted!

You're nuts if you think my tired, old eyes can use a device set at 5% brightness! :eek: :D

Besides, this is hopefully just a fluke. My previous Motorola, which I still use, is 4+ years old and shows no sign of burn-in, nor have any of my earlier Motorolas.
Have we met before, I am really nuts of everything buwahahahahaa :)
For an odd reason my quickpick app on my Samsung Galaxy s4 tab, somehow brightens up per photo up to around 30% higher, found that really strange

Do they sell a version without FB? Many unlocked, unbranded phones have that pre-installed.
I don't know. But if they did, wouldn't the [clueless] rep [who thought screen burn-in could be fixed with a factory reset] tell me? ;)

It's a bit annoying being stuck with all these AT&T and other apps that I don't want.

It's made me wonder: aside from explicitly stating, "I don't have AT&T like I did when I ordered the phone, I have Consumer Cellular. I don't want, and cannot use, AT&T apps," what else would've done the trick? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom