• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting data off Nexus S

Hi, I've screwed up my Nexus S today and I'm hoping someone has a clever idea on how to get the data off. I started having an issue with the power button today, so I took it apart to investigate (without backing anything up of course). During the course of removing the rear cover, the motherboard got caught and bent.

The phone will now boot to the 'X' logo screen when a battery is installed AND it is plugged in via USB. It will boot to the bootloader, but not to recovery (displays laid over Android guy with red exclamation). F: shows up in my Windows Disk Management, but does not mount as a usable drive.

Is there any way I can get this phone to mount via USB or any other way you can think of to get my data off? The data I'd most like are photos, inkpad messenger notes, and if possible, text messages.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is your bootloader unlocked? If so, you can flash a custom recovery which will allow you to adb pull the contents of your internal sd card to a computer.

I don't believe the bootloader is unlocked. It's a fairly stock phone. I did turn on backup to Google in settings, but truthfully I don't know what or where exactly that backs up. USB debugging may or may not have been enabled, I don't recall.

Google backup mostly backs up what apps are installed, wifi settings, contacts, etc. If the bootloader is not unlocked, then that option is out. The only other possibility is to hope that usb debugging was on, and the device boots up enough to be read as an adb device. If that happens, then you can perform the same adb pull. If not, then the data is as good as gone. :(

Thanks for the quick response. I'll read up on adb and give that a try, and if that fails try taking it apart again and seeing if I can get the mainboard bent in just the right manner to work just long enough to get it to boot. It's damaged down by the USB connector and it doesn't look like there are a ton of traces down there.

Back
Top Bottom