• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Getting everything onto the replacement unit

Mischka7

Hi all,

I just got a replacement unit for my Dinc. Does anyone have a step-by-step guide on how to get all the apps and data onto the replacement phone? I do have apps like Swype that aren't available on the market. I'd rather not have to go through the whole process of downloading and reinstalling everything.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I just got a replacement unit for my Dinc. Does anyone have a step-by-step guide on how to get all the apps and data onto the replacement phone? I do have apps like Swype that aren't available on the market. I'd rather not have to go through the whole process of downloading and reinstalling everything.

Thanks!

Is your original phone still functional at all and are you rooted?

ok. Well, your best bet would be to install the appbrain market sync program from the market.

Create an account on appbrain, and within the app on your phone, sync your apps. They will all be stored on appbrain. You then install appbrain market sync on your new phone, and you can install them from there. Now, the process will still require you going though each app one by one, but it is more of a wizard format than having to search for each app individually on the market. You will still need to download and install any non-market apps like Swype.

That's really the only option if your phone isn't rooted.

If you are willing to root your phone, you can use Titanium Backup to back up all of your apps and do a batch restore on your new phone (it saves the backup to your SD card so you'd have to put the old sd card in the new phone).

If rooting is something you're willing to do, I can walk you through the Titanium backup process. It's pretty simple.

Thanks Asterdroid. I'd rather not root the phone, so I'll probably go with the appbrain route. I was surprised to find that my photos, videos and music were saved on the phone and not the SDcard. Seems like it should be logical to store that stuff on the SDcard, no?

Thanks Asterdroid. I'd rather not root the phone, so I'll probably go with the appbrain route. I was surprised to find that my photos, videos and music were saved on the phone and not the SDcard. Seems like it should be logical to store that stuff on the SDcard, no?

Logical for any other phone, but not ours. They originally didn't even ship with SD cards, so if the default was to store on SD, they wouldn't have anywhere to store anything.

Why store stuff to the SD when you have 8GB of memory in the phone? Only 748MB of that can be used for apps, so what else will you use it for? The internal memory is extremely fast so storing large photos (like 8MP) will load thumbnails fast and keep the GUI from hogging down like if you had them on a lame class 2 SD card.

Back
Top Bottom