• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help getting files off my computer to phone wireless

hurricane630

I'm positive this has been discussed at some point, but couldn't find it. I'm just curious if there is an app that I can get get files from my pc to phone by doing it wireless. I used zumocast on my bionic and loved it. But I want to be able to do this with my gnex. and I'd like to do it with a free app if possible. It will make putting zip file kernels onto my phone much easier

Dropbox rocks.

Pretty sure you can also just download kernals/ROMS/whatever straight to your phone and use a file explorer to move them where they need to go and flash them. The Gnex might be different, but that's how I always did it on my DInc2

Samba Filesharing is the bomb. Very fast and reliable, drag-n-drop, explore your phone over wifi like its a network drive using windows explorer. I use it while I'm tethered.

I haven't used dropbox on android too much yet, but imagine wifi is faster, so better for larger files, dropbox network tends to be slow at times. One nice thing about dropbox, is you can just drop the file into your dropbox on your computer and then run out the door and its there!

I've also had luck with Droid Explorer, it works using ADB (android debug bridge) over your usb cable.

Astro Bluetooth module works pretty well too, but bluetooth is slow and buggy for me.

Wifi File Explorer Pro is cool too, I got it free off of GetJar. It's an out of date version, but it works well.

Ive heard good things about Airdroid but havent personally used it very much(drop box ftw)

AIRDROID!!! I was amazed, you will be too. Don't get me wrong, I use DropBox all the time for syncing files between my phone and PC and for the ability to log in and access my stuff from anywhere.

But if your looking for some WiFi phone management, AIRDROID wins hands down. You can transfer files with a very nice UI. Also lets you text from your PC through your phone. You can view contacts, battery status, and more all from your PC.

And its free.

Your head will explode with satisfaction.

I use ES file explorer/task manager.
It's a file explorer, has LAN access, ftp, bt transfer, task manager, apk backups, and startup manager.

"websharing" is a nice app that allows you to access your phone's storage through a web browser where you can manage all your files from there. there's also websharinglite which is free.

I use wifi file explorer and haven't used a cable to transfer stuff for quite awhile.
Air droid looks very interesting though, will give it a whirl when I get home.

samba filesharing works when tethered. widgetsoid tether toggle even enables the wireless network with data turned off, so you can use it for wifi filesharing even when no wifi network is available, sort of reverse ad-hoc. maybe it will work for airdroid or other wifi filesharing apps too. Maybe it will work with other tethering apps too.

Back
Top Bottom