• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting the Razr because its here now?

See, FragDroid understands it exactly :)

No he just agrees with you on your opinion...lol...which is cool!

Listen fellas I understand the way things work, and I happen to get it!

I will be getting the DROID Razr...to review and put it through its paces...but I dont think it will last very long in my stable, I except that and take it for what its worth.
The change ICS will bring will really hit home when the Nexus gets released, whenever that is...And when a slew of ICS devices come to the market pretty soon. When that happens I suspect alot of early Razr adapters who thought they'd be cool for 2 years may end up second guessing they're decision. Just my 2 cents guys...

Upvote 0
Personally I find this to be somewhat myopic...

The buttons are honestly just window dressing and aren't truly representative of ICS. The true value of ICS lies in the OS and what it brings to the table from a functional perspective. It's already been announced that ICS will support both hard and soft buttons.

Soft buttons have certain advantages but they also can be very problematic. I've had enough tablets to know that soft buttons don't always do what they're supposed to do. Similar can be said of hard buttons as hard buttons have limited life spans. Either way, however, provides a comparable level of functionality. Some people like hard buttons while others like soft buttons. I'm certain that Google knows this! It would honestly be foolish for them to limit their technology by trying to push people into one specific technology over the other. That's the sort of herding mentality one would expect of Apple not Google.

My personal opinion is that Android will continue to support both for a long time to come...

Lmaoo...Herding mentality ...classic!

Well let's just hope that Google adapts to do one thing that Apple does really well...

Announce a device, and then give a fairly close release date after the announcement

Upvote 0
i'm mainly chiming in just to say i'm still riding the fence between the RAZR and GNex. the more reviews i read of the RAZR, plus the more i see of the device, and coupled with the rumors of the GNex release getting pushed back into Dec, the more i'm tempted to jump on the RAZR. but, i vowed to not make a purchase until i could compare the two side by side, and i'm sticking to it........for today.

Re*gag* is out for me. HTC devices have a history of bad batt life, as CK pointed out. and to address this, the Re*gag* comes with batt-hogs LTE and HD screen, but a relatively small battery?? no thanks...

as for ICS, i have nothing to go on but all of the videos that have popped up on the webs. i will say that ICS seems to have some nice refinements to the OS. but, at the same time, i don't think it's anything revolutionary. i think it's exactly as advertised - Google merged Honeycomb and GB to make a single OS that will work on both phones and tablets. also, i think the focus was more "behind the scenes", in optimizations and making the OS operate better, more smoothly, and faster.

personally, i don't think those changes are going to affect performance from device to device. of course, that all depends on how the OEM's incorporate their skins/UI's into ICS...

Upvote 0
Lol no going back and forth with me. The Nexus will be great. I just cannot stand to look at it LOL.

Thats my biggest beef with it.

I get that you are blown away by look, build quality of Razr. But you were on Nexus camp not too long ago and excited more than anyone on stock ICS and no bloats. That was before seeing Razr in Oct.:)

Upvote 0
@ Cereal and Frag ...

Thia isn't about how great and how awesome ICS will be...

Its about change, and how the adaption of it on new devices will change things.

Forget about back flips and shouting...

When every new device in 2012 comes out with the same mind set as the Nexus by being made to operate with ICS...What will happen to the last of 2011's devices that weren't made to operate with ICS?

Its different now compared to how the adaption of the OG Android phones played catch up when new software was released.

IMO...anything that comes out right now without ICS may be in Jeopardy of being forgotten about rather quickly.

The jump from Gingerbread to ICS will be a pretty big one on mobile devices IMO.
So you think ICS will not operate or be supported on any of the current devices with the exception of the Nexus and the next round of devices that launch with it?

You are not being realistic here Sean.

Upvote 0
Lol no going back and forth with me. The Nexus will be great. I just cannot stand to look at it LOL.

Thats my biggest beef with it.

I know you're excited about the Razr, but don't you think it's a little unfair to write off the Nexus without having even held it yet? For all you know it could be really well-built with pictures and videos being misleading.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
Agreed. However, if you have played with Honeycomb extensively then you already have a pretty good idea of how ICS works. ICS is really just an update of Honeycomb with added functionality and an updated look. It's not really the revolution some are making it out to be. It's an exciting evolution to be sure but it's not anything we really haven't already seen.

Well, I have Asus Transformer running 3.2.1 and I am anxiously waiting on ICS upgrade to it.:) Though HC is nice, ICS seems even better. I especially like ability to kill, freeze any running task, even bloats without having to root. HC doesn't have it. Also multi-core supports and GPU acceleration in HC is still quite limited and ICS seems to better support it.

I think ICS would be bigger upgrade for phones. I can see that ICS upgrade will be the major issue for most android phones running GB next year.

Upvote 0
I get that you are blown away by look, build quality of Razr. But you were on Nexus camp not too long ago and excited more than anyone on stock ICS and no bloats. That was before seeing Razr in Oct.:)
Exactly, thats why I said it will be a great phone and have no problem with it other than what I already stated.

I like ICS. It's a new OS. I will be excited to get it but I'm not pining away for it or feeling left out.

I can wait for it because it's nothing that I haven't essentially already seen or used.

Upvote 0
So you think ICS will not operate or be supported on any of the current devices with the exception of the Nexus and the next round of devices that launch with it?

You are not being realistic here Sean.

Easy killer....I didn't say that!

I just don't think they'll be 1st priority at all, not even close!

Explain this to me...why is the Charge still on Froyo, why hasn't the Bionic even received an update to fix any bugs? These are 2 real BIG deal vzw DROID branded devices...

You want to know why good buddy...

Because Samsung is busy with the Nexus, and Motorola doesnt give a crap about the Bionic anymore...

What makes you think that the Razr is going to get this loyal faithful attention from Motorola/ Google/ and vzw?

Especially with it being one of the last devices to ship with GB...

And yea...that's true, u were hardcore on the Nexus train a few weeks ago...lol

Upvote 0
I know you're excited about the Razr, but don't you think it's a little unfair to write off the Nexus without having even held it yet? For all you know it could be really well-built with pictures and videos being misleading.
Lordddddddddddddd have mursayyyyyy :)

For the last time I'm not writing it off lol. It will be a GREAT phone<<<<READ

IT WILL BE A GREAT PHONE<<<<read again :)

Last time...it WILL be a GREAT phone.

The ONLY issue I have with it is that it looks like a jellybean (long and skinny) and looks like a Fisher Price toy (cheap build). Not to mention it's a little feminine looking to me (again my opinion)

So please quit saying I'm writing it off or I'm going to have wars over which is better. They are both great phones...PERIOD :)

Upvote 0

I'm blown away by the looks and build quality also...

However, I know things are going to move really quickly after the release of ICS, and don't expect the Razr to be my long term daily driver...For right this minute its a hot device...for how long remains to be seen with the changes that are coming...

Upvote 0

For the last time I'm not writing it off lol. It will be a GREAT phone&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;READ

IT WILL BE A GREAT PHONE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;read again :)

The ONLY issue I have with it is that it looks like a jellybean (long and skinny) and looks like a Fisher Price toy (cheap build). Not to mention it's a little feminine looking to me (again my opinion)

So please quit saying I'm writing it off or I'm going to have wars over which is better. They are both great phones...PERIOD :)

No you missed the point...

Samsung used the jelly bean influence for the transition to the Jelly bean OS down the road....

You need to read between the lines and see the hidden message good buddy...lol

Reactions: cereal killer
Upvote 0
What makes you think that the Razr is going to get this loyal faithful attention from Motorola/ Google/ and vzw?

Especially with it being one of the last devices to ship with GB...
Beside Moto and some of it's employees already addressing that question. I think Eric Schmidt being at the RAZR event is a very telling sign that the RAZR is not just a one off.

If you believe they will soon forget about the RAZR then I don't know what to tell you :)

Upvote 0
Well, I have Asus Transformer running 3.2.1 and I am anxiously waiting on ICS upgrade to it.:) Though HC is nice, ICS seems even better. I especially like ability to kill, freeze any running task, even bloats without having to root. HC doesn't have it. Also multi-core supports and GPU acceleration in HC is still quite limited and ICS seems to better support it.

I think ICS would be bigger upgrade for phones. I can see that ICS upgrade will be the major issue for most android phones running GB next year.

I agree 100%. My point is that they are melding Honeycomb and Gingerbread and adding some functionality as well but it's still just an evolutionary update. Some people (not singling anyone out) are making it out to be the second coming and its clearly not. Am I excited about ICS? You bet I am. Is it enough to make me choose one device over another just for the Os? Not a chance.

Reactions: cereal killer
Upvote 0
Beside Moto and some of it's employees already addressing that question. I think Eric Schmidt being at the RAZR event is a very telling sign that the RAZR is not just a one off.

If you believe they will soon forget about the RAZR then I don't know what to tell you :)

Talk to me In 3 months when the Razr 2 with a quad core, super Amoled plus with 720p viewing resolution, 10 megapixel shooter with a sick lenses, a 2100mAh battery, and of course Ice Cream Sandwich onboard gets announced.

Lol...yes we know something better is always around the corner my friend.

The real big killer will be it was built to work with ICS ....then we shall see how big Eric Schmidt is on the Razr 1...

I'm just busting your chops bro, I know you like the Razr after handling it, I know your excited....enjoy it my man! Just jabbing at ya ...its all good.

Upvote 0
Talk to me In 3 months when the Razr 2 with a quad core, super Amoled plus with 720p viewing resolution, 10 megapixel shooter with a sick lenses, a 2100mAh battery, and of course Ice Cream Sandwich onboard gets announced.

Within 6 months there will likely be a RAZR 2, a Rezound 2, and at least 3 new Galaxy S phones. :p Heck in six months Android Jellybean will be on it's way to market... ;)

Upvote 0

For the last time I'm not writing it off lol. It will be a GREAT phone<<<<READ

IT WILL BE A GREAT PHONE<<<<read again :)

This had me literally crying...lol!!

Reason I'm getting it, or should I say pre ordered it? Cuz I didnt have the money to get the Bionic at the time, and I couldnt bill to my account cuz it was past due, true story on both counts.

To be honest....I might still get the Bionic over the RAZR...yea I know shocking huh...lol To ICS....its got to be amazing...cuz its one of the reasons I'm even considering the GNex....and I kinda dont like Samsung phones. Just to have ICS right now instead of later.

Upvote 0
Sean. I dont really understand what you mean by the razr isn't built for ICS? Why wouldn't it be? It's no different than buying a laptop that says customized or certified for windows 7/Vista. Which many will know means nothing. You could throw XP on there and it would run it fine. Linux, ubunto...whatever. ICS may even run better on older phones. Look at what windows 7 does on 256meg ram machines. Makes them feel snappy and new.

Upvote 0
Sean. I dont really understand what you mean by the razr isn't built for ICS? Why wouldn't it be? It's no different than buying a laptop that says customized or certified for windows 7/Vista. Which many will know means nothing. You could throw XP on there and it would run it fine. Linux, ubunto...whatever. ICS may even run better on older phones. Look at what windows 7 does on 256meg ram machines. Makes them feel snappy and new.

History shows that when these mobile companies build phones, and then have to repackage software to make it work on an older device...It just doesnt go to smooth alot of the time.

Yes sometimes it goes Fine, but from what I've seen the past 2 years makes me very suspect towards alot.

2 of my EVO's that didnt ship with Froyo were destroyed when the update was released.

My Incredible was Bricked when Froyo was released as well.

Then you have phones like Vzw's Fascinate which never even got an Update to Froyo

It took forever for the ThunderBolt to get Gingerbread, and when it did it was a mess...Just recently they released another Build for it.

To keep going the Charge is still on Froyo...And it's a Droid Branded phone...Where's GingerBread?

Listen in my eyes I buy phones for pretty much that moment, the software that it has on it is the software I expect for it to have on it when I sell it. Yes I go through alot of phones.

I just feel that ICS is going to be a pretty big move in the Android eco system and that some of the last phones of 2011 may not be able to handle all that ICS goodness when the time comes for it to be pushed out. Hey maybe they will, and tide turns and all these phones, buttons and all will be awesome with ICS on them...To be serious, I hope so. I'm a stong supporter of the whole Android movement.

If your in the market for a solid well built phone right this minute, jump on the Razr....

If you want the latest and greatest when it comes to software...There is no better choice then a Nexus branded device...Simple as that!

Upvote 0
The biggest benefit I see to ICS is hardware acceleration and the Razr is plenty fast already. Moto's UI gives resizable widgets, camera on lock screen, and several other of ICS's perks.

I really have no desire to become an ICS beta tester and would rather wait for a 4.0.2+ build anyway. I'm not getting the Razr because it's here now but because (for me) it's a better device.

Upvote 0
The biggest benefit I see to ICS is hardware acceleration and the Razr is plenty fast already. Moto's UI gives resizable widgets, camera on lock screen, and several other of ICS's perks.

I really have no desire to become an ICS beta tester and would rather wait for a 4.0.2+ build anyway. I'm not getting the Razr because it's here now but because (for me) it's a better device.

Good point about the beta testing...

Hey u never know, there could be some issues with ICS right now, and that could be the reason for any delays.

Good point my man.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones