• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread

Ok, so HTC seems to have gone back and forth on this. I'm kind of keen to get the update, but I'm trying to figure out really which features will improve my desire experience. Heard Wed have to giveup some apps, not sure how much I care about that. On a side note I was wondering if maybe this update would improve or add stabilizer for camera or sherry there's some other way I could improve the camera in that way.

Will update take more phone space? Less?

What type of stabiliser were you thinking of - the sort where the sensor moves to compensate for shake, or the sort where there is an element in the lens which is moved instead? Either way, it's a hell of a software update :p

Seriously though, you don't need to worry about phone space: the update will go in the /system partition, which you don't have access to anyway, and won't change the size of the /data partition (which is what you see as "internal storage").

What type of stabiliser were you thinking of - the sort where the sensor moves to compensate for shake, or the sort where there is an element in the lens which is moved instead? Either way, it's a hell of a software update :p

Seriously though, you don't need to worry about phone space: the update will go in the /system partition, which you don't have access to anyway, and won't change the size of the /data partition (which is what you see as "internal storage").

Actually I thought there would be some kind of way that the computer could average out still. Shots really quickly and stabilize the image that way or something. But I guess not. Anyway, good to know my phone space is not in jeopardy. I'm still a little uncertain though if I for sure want the update, whether it might be harsh on my ram or something. I have customized alot of how my phone looms and works, so I'm not sure what ill get out of the update and if its worth it. Like, I don't have near field communication and stuff like that, run adw launcher and better keyboard and stuff, so I'm just wondering what the perks would be for a desire user.

Alot of the changes are under the hood so you wont really notice them, but 2.3 runs faster than 2.2 and the a2sd is greatly improved in 2.3 ie more of the apps are moved to the SD card saving more internal memory. It is worth updating just for that IMO.

Better battery usage information, although still a long way off whats needed, that graph is very handy.

Alot of the changes are under the hood so you wont really notice them, but 2.3 runs faster than 2.2 and the a2sd is greatly improved in 2.3 ie more of the apps are moved to the SD card saving more internal memory. It is worth updating just for that IMO.

Ya being able to put more apps on SD card is quite huge. Also it running faster is quite awesome as well. I wonder if that's to do with needing more ram.

You think that also means stuff like adw launcher would run faster as well?

Ya being able to put more apps on SD card is quite huge. Also it running faster is quite awesome as well. I wonder if that's to do with needing more ram.

You think that also means stuff like adw launcher would run faster as well?

Im gonna hedge my bets here and say that with the update im guessing it allocates memory usage better and thus has more left over for other apps to run...

so in theory yes things like ADW should run faster....what also helps though is if its stock android as opposed to one with a fancy UI on top which can always drag precious memory away..and the boys running GingerVillian (one of the many GB roms) no the beauty of speed of use using stock over others who have say the GB versions of Leedroid..

although saying that the difference might be so minimal really..

GingerBread itself doesn't take up more space, and as others have said the memory management is better. So if there is genuinely anything taking more space it's the stuff HTC load on top.

Back
Top Bottom