• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbreak instructions

I'm looking into rooting my Vortex and downloaded Gingerbreak 1.2. But what am I supposed to do with it? Windows doesn't expand the archive and Linux (Ubuntu) just gives me a folder with some images and a couple text files. Is there supposed to be an executable somewhere? Is there any documentation on how to use Gingerbreak that I'm probably missing?

If you haven't figured it out yet, this is my first time rooting a phone.

Use a file manager (ES File Explorer, Astro, etc) to open the gingerbreak apk on the phone. It will install as an app. Run the app and hit root.

Make sure you have an SD card installed and USB debugging is enabled (Settings > Applications > development)

Could you give me a bit more instruction on this. I got ES File Explorer but where do I put the .adk?

I'm sorry to be such an idiot but the support pages at Estrongs suck. What with their broken English and all.

(I really hate that there are this many hoops to just delete Slacker, Tetris, and Scrabble... :mad:)

You put the .apk somewhere on your sdcard. Then find it in ES File Explorer and click on it. If that app is too hard to understand, try Astro, or search for other file managers or app managers that do the same thing. After it installs, just run it and press the root button.

Watch what you delete, this is one of the simplest things you can do related to rooting and recovering from mistakes later might be beyond you.

You put the .apk somewhere on your sdcard. Then find it in ES File Explorer and click on it. If that app is too hard to understand, try Astro, or search for other file managers or app managers that do the same thing. After it installs, just run it and press the root button.

I wasn't sure if there was a proper place for it. After all, the whole file structure is there.

Watch what you delete, this is one of the simplest things you can do related to rooting and recovering from mistakes later might be beyond you.

Which is why I want to be sure to do this right...

Back
Top Bottom