• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail very long "syncing mail..." notifications

hazelrahbl1

Lurker
Feb 12, 2018
I recently picked up a Pixel 2 to replace my Motorola X Pure that is going on the blink. I've added all of the email accounts that were on my old phone to the Pixel 2. Now that I've done that, I get the 'syncing mail' notification from Gmail for long periods of time. Yesterday I saw it go for several hours. Just now it went for well over 20 minutes.

Any idea how I can debug what the issue is?

Accounts that I have:
* Exchange account (work)
* Hotmail (via Exchange protocol to sync the calendar)
* 2 Gmail accounts
* A Yahoo account via IMAP

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180211-214924.png
    Screenshot_20180211-214924.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 408
The best suggestion I can come up with would be to remove one account at a time (maybe moving it to a third-party email client for the sake of testing) and see if/when the sync hangs stop. You'd then know which account's settings warrant a closer look.

(Unrelated, but is there a particular reason you use Twilight rather than the built-in Night Light feature? The native implementation is actually done at the system level so it has better performance - and I think it looks nicer than an overlay too.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones