• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

go sms not showing facebook contacts

shawn222

Aug 24, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm really liking GO sms but I have one problem which is making me switch away from it. GO sms doesn't recognize my facebook contacts. If I have a google contact merged with a facebook contact, GO sms will show the person's facebook picture but if I only have them as a facebook picture the picture will be empty and it will show their phone number rather than their name. Clicking on their name will take me to the right contact with a name, picture, and number.

I am now considering switching over to handcent which doesn't have this problem.

If anyone knows how to make GO sms work please let me know.

-Shawn

Thanks, but that's not it. I've had that setting set already. GO sms is matching the facebook photos if I have a google contact with the phone number merged with a facebook contact. When I have just the facebook contact, it doesn't recognize the number at all, it does not show their name or picture but if I click on the contact from GO sms is does take me to the right contact in my contacts app

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I already chose sync all contacts because in my contacts I have many contacts which are just from facebook. Anyways, I cleared all my facebook data and when I started up facebook chose sync all contacts, go sms is behaving the same way.

Just to clarify, in go sms and only go sms (stock sms app and handcent work fine) messages from contacts who are only facebook contacts do not show a name or picture, only their number (in stock and handcent I can see their name and picture). If I click on their empty picture though, I am taken to their contact screen in my contact app which has all of their info (name, picture, phone number). For some reason go sms is just not picking up my contacts who are just facebook contacts.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I already chose sync all contacts because in my contacts I have many contacts which are just from facebook. Anyways, I cleared all my facebook data and when I started up facebook chose sync all contacts, go sms is behaving the same way.

Just to clarify, in go sms and only go sms (stock sms app and handcent work fine) messages from contacts who are only facebook contacts do not show a name or picture, only their number (in stock and handcent I can see their name and picture). If I click on their empty picture though, I am taken to their contact screen in my contact app which has all of their info (name, picture, phone number). For some reason go sms is just not picking up my contacts who are just facebook contacts.

happening to me to. worked fine on my evo and epic now using my epic touch and facebook contacts are not showing up only ones those saved to google or to phone

Upvote 0
Goddamnit! Stupid thing deleted my original big ass post!

The problem is that when fb is synced to your phone it adds +1 in front of the numbers. So go sms pro doesn't recognize those contacts when you try to put their name to txtmsgg them....but it does work on some phones because my htc g2 has the problem but my gf's htc evo3d does not.

Go sms pro needs to fix their junk because this outdated problem wouldve been fixed long ago

Anyone have a solution besides switching back to handscent sms app?

Upvote 0
This other thread suggests that it's an ICS issue globally and not GOSMS specifically. I suspect the built in messenger circumvents this issue being Samsung's special app they built into the phone. This seems completely stupid to me why ICS would prohibit this feature.

"Google or Facebook have restricted 3rd party app's from accessing the FB photo's assigned to contacts...
This has been an issue for all ICS software for months on the Rezound...
I have heard that this is also been happening on other phones running ICS.
"

It is very frustrating however that I get SMS from people who are NOT in my contacts (internal or gmail) and it just shows a phone number. In fact there are even contacts that I have as a gmail one and they only show a NAME not PHOTO (yet are FB linked).

It's astonishing that my 3 year old HTC Evo 4G "just worked" flawlessly and yet this new Android flagship has taken such a massive step backwards.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones