• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Going Hiking with the G'Zone

CommandoJ

Hello Eeverybody,

I just went on a short (1 1/2 mile) hike with my G'Zone. Here are some things I learned:

1. If you want to do a vlog with the front-facing camera, there is a simple free app called Front Video Camera: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toolapps.FrontVideoCamera&hl=en Note that if you use this app, you need an app killing utility such as Android Assistant, because you will not be able to use the normal camera app to do video out of the rear camera unless you can kill Front Video Camera.

2. G'Z World app is useful for posting waypoints, photos, and other one-time items. But the "Route" function (that does the same thing as "my tracks") is worthless, because it stops recording when the app isn't on the screen. So if you use one of the other apps, like one of the cameras, then Route stops recording. Also, G'Z World does not appear to have a website - the only way you can access data is through that particular app on the phone itself.

3. My Tracks (the app from Google) is VERY useful, especially if you are in an area where the maps provided by others are not correct, or if you're in an area where it's very easy to get lost. On our phones it also records altitude. It provides a graph of altitude vs. speed, so it's easy to see at a glance how far you've changed altitude.

I put Front Camera, the normal Camera, GZWorld, My Tracks, and Android Assistant all on one of the home screen so it was easy to switch between them.

Back
Top Bottom