• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Going to switch roms, do I have everything right?

BrianJB

Android Enthusiast
Ok, So for the past 2 days I've been using mikfroyo 4.5. I am now wanting to switch over to; VirusROM AirBouRne Series

I would make one just in case. You can always transfer it to your pc or delete it in the future. Only takes a couple minutes to do while you are in recovery

I would make one just in case. You can always transfer it to your pc or delete it in the future. Only takes a couple minutes to do while you are in recovery

Ok, will do. Thank you. But do I have everything else right in my post?, As far as the "caulkins" stuff?

Yes, you flash the wipe all zip just like you would any other file that you flash. Once you do it, it will automatically wipe. You can do it before or after the wipes that you can initiate with recovery, it doesn't really matter.

Ok, will do. Thank you. But do I have everything else right in my post?, As far as the "caulkins" stuff?

When switching to a different rom, I wipe data/factory reset, wipe Dalvik-cache, then flash Caulkin's Format All(just like you would a rom), then flash the rom and reboot. If its all good, I reboot to recovery and nandroid.

Sorry for double post, but just to clarify, the file is Calkulin_'s_FORMAT_ALL.zip. I flash it first, then do a factory reset/data wipe, then wipe cache and finally wipe dalvik cache prior to flashing. I never have any issues. I'm using Amon_RA 2.3

Before you flash a new rom use the format all tool to wipe everything. You just download it select flash zip and select it. It will wipe everything then you can flash a new rom. If you go to the rom and kernel link in my sig you can find the format zip at the top.

Just out of curiousity, why the switch from MikFroyo to this new one? Not questioning you at all, just that I use MikFroyo and am always down to flash a new rom but not just any of them.

What do you like about the rom you are flashing to?

thanks

Just out of curiousity, why the switch from MikFroyo to this new one? Not questioning you at all, just that I use MikFroyo and am always down to flash a new rom but not just any of them.

What do you like about the rom you are flashing to?

thanks

I really like the look of the UI of the virus rom, also it has the full hdmi kernel included. And I've been having issues with the lock screen doing a FC everytime after reboot. And I cant customize the lock screen at all, like I see that you can change it from a sliding bar to rotary and have messaging on the lock screen. But none of those work for me. I've tried wiping app cache, force stop. Nothing works.

But the virus rom just has a very crisp look to it.

So those issues you are having with MikFroyo? I have not had those issues before. And I got my customized lock screen to work where it's a sliding bar and I have access to messages, music, sound and one other option I added. Some of it's a pain though to flash.

Unless you mean you are having those issues on Virus.

But I will give this a try maybe. also need to try Fresh and Sprint Lovers from reading around.

So those issues you are having with MikFroyo? I have not had those issues before. And I got my customized lock screen to work where it's a sliding bar and I have access to messages, music, sound and one other option I added. Some of it's a pain though to flash.

But I will give this a try maybe. also need to try Fresh and Sprint Lovers from reading around.

Fresh is a very stable rom. Not much for mods but good other than that. Sprint lovers is basically the stock rom. It also is not much for theming. Mikfroyo, Myns, Kings, Koni Elite, and Virus are all stable sense roms that are themed. You might try some of those also if you are looking to change. Take a look here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/284413-roms-kernels-download-page.html

Thanks man!

Yeah so far I have tried Cyanogen (hated it!), Myns and MikFroyo (currently using)

Yeah if it is not big on theming, I will probably pass on it.

Thanks man!

Yeah so far I have tried Cyanogen (hated it!), Myns and MikFroyo (currently using)

Yeah if it is not big on theming, I will probably pass on it.

CM is kind of an acquired taste I think......of which I have acquired it :)

There are themed version of CM7 out there that are very good. Kings and Destroyer are 2 that come to mind. Destroyer has about 15 different theme packs built into it that can be changes in about 30 seconds. CM by itself is the most customizable Rom out of the box that I have seen to date.

Oh yeah CM is huge on customizing but so much of what I had grown to like with Sense was not there, due to it not being Sense at all. Like I had no more 4G. No facebook sync. I like to have that as it puts their pics for my contacts automatically. I may have not gave it enough of a chance but it just was not for me. I liked a lot of things about it but in the end, too much was missing. May check it out again, though.

If you go to the facebook app login and tell it to sync contacts you can then go to your contacts and join them with your fb contacts mnaually. Select contact, edit, menu-join, select fb contact, done....didnt say it wasnt time consuming :). It will use their fb pic though. Also most of the widgets can be duplicated. Im not argung for aosp i use sense mostly myself, jut saying it can get close. LP has widets for fb and gmail and stuff too.

Yeah, I mean its that and a couple other things. One big thing i've noticed is that my battery life has gotten worse. I went from a stock rooted rom, with a couple of my own tweaks (using my 3500mah battery) I could go for 8 hours before hitting 80% on my battery. I am now at 67% after 7 hours.

So I just wanna try something different, dont get me wrong its a great rom. But I like the look of virus, very clean,sleek looking.

Ok guys, I officially switched roms. I am currently running VirusROM Airborne RC6 Public BETA 1. Very nice rom, I love the UI. Havent had any FC issues. Definetly the rom I was looking for.

Battery life is much than what I had on Mikfroyo. I just now dropped down to 72% and thats after heavy use this morning (10hours, on 3500mah). I did try to do the PRL hack over on xda, But I ended up without a signal for about an hour I was finally able to update my sprint prl.

But I really like this new rom, the full hdmi is very nice.

Ok guys, I officially switched roms. I am currently running VirusROM Airborne RC6 Public BETA 1. Very nice rom, I love the UI. Havent had any FC issues. Definetly the rom I was looking for.

Battery life is much than what I had on Mikfroyo. I just now dropped down to 72% and thats after heavy use this morning (10hours, on 3500mah). I did try to do the PRL hack over on xda, But I ended up without a signal for about an hour I was finally able to update my sprint prl.

But I really like this new rom, the full hdmi is very nice.

You need roaming UNCHECKED when using that hack (just a thought, I had issues with that one also), also that prl is iffy for some, there is a "full 3g prl" thread here in this forum with links to other prls. I have a list of like 10 that i try. Oddly i went back to the first one because i may flux signal but my 3g speed is amazing. There are vzwsprint prls and a modified sprint 60665 prl.

You need roaming UNCHECKED when using that hack (just a thought, I had issues with that one also), also that prl is iffy for some, there is a "full 3g prl" thread here in this forum with links to other prls. I have a list of like 10 that i try. Oddly i went back to the first one because i may flux signal but my 3g speed is amazing. There are vzwsprint prls and a modified sprint 60665 prl.

Ok,cool. I may try again tonight. I did it This morning as soon as I woke up, not the best way to start the day by thinking I bricked my service (lol). It just scared me because I couldn't get a signal at all to update my stock prl. Which prls do you use? The ones on the original page? Or the ones from the newer thread on xda?

hmmm...no signal to update prl...i would have committed a diff prl and tried again. There is the 60665 mod prl out there which is probably a safe haven to commit to if you get stuck like that again. I use the ones from the first thread still, the O-riginal. I dont get signal at work unless i use one of them. I tried the ones from the full 3g thread here (the newer xda thread) and they didnt give me as drastic 3g speeds at work, the only place i really use them. I use wifi at home so im not too woried about pissing sprint off.

It would seem that our original prls such as 60665, 66, and 67 should be out there somewhere in a .prl file form in case we need to go back and dont have signal...?

hmmm...no signal to update prl...i would have committed a diff prl and tried again. There is the 60665 mod prl out there which is probably a safe haven to commit to if you get stuck like that again. I use the ones from the first thread still, the O-riginal. I dont get signal at work unless i use one of them. I tried the ones from the full 3g thread here (the newer xda thread) and they didnt give me as drastic 3g speeds at work, the only place i really use them. I use wifi at home so im not too woried about pissing sprint off.

It would seem that our original prls such as 60665, 66, and 67 should be out there somewhere in a .prl file form in case we need to go back and dont have signal...?

Yeah, I'm not too worried about pissing sprint off either. The only time i'd use the roaming 3g would be at work, and I wouldnt be downloading gb's of crap. I was getting awesome 3g speeds at work a few weeks back. Like 1000kpbs download speeds. And I was getting a little 4g signal. But since then my 3g speeds have dropped to around 250, and no more 4g signal. So either they are upgrading something, or not.

And yes, I wondered if anyone had the orginal prls for us, just as a safe precaution in case of a situation like mine. The reason why I freaked out so bad was because I didnt see anyone not being able to get a signal to at least go back to a stock prl.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about pissing sprint off either. The only time i'd use the roaming 3g would be at work, and I wouldnt be downloading gb's of crap. I was getting awesome 3g speeds at work a few weeks back. Like 1000kpbs download speeds. And I was getting a little 4g signal. But since then my 3g speeds have dropped to around 250, and no more 4g signal. So either they are upgrading something, or not.

And yes, I wondered if anyone had the orginal prls for us, just as a safe precaution in case of a situation like mine. The reason why I freaked out so bad was because I didnt see anyone not being able to get a signal to at least go back to a stock prl.

I'll probably have a look when i get home. Im at work now. Never heard of someone losingn signal though. You eventually got it back so...oh well.

I did lose 3g once completely before i even used a diff prl, thats what made me try diff prls in the first place. ended up fixing it with a 2g/3g cdma toggle for a buck. It was stuck in 1x for some reason, thats neither here nor there though....

Back