• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gonna build first rom, need advice/help

Snake X

Android Expert
I've done my research and all (trust me ive looked at a lot of things) and I feel like im at the level now where i can finally go into rom development :D This is pretty exciting for me. As a first project, I would like to do the following:

-init.d support
-GPU UI rendering :eek: (this might be hard and sense needs it lol)
-Beats audio
-build.prop tweaks
-deodexed
-bloatware removed

There might be a thing or two that I might want to incorperate later, but I'll just go through the steps one at a time until I get it. So any helpful advice for doing this? Keep in mind this is my *first* project so i may derp (a lot :p). GPU UI rendering kinda scares me at this point lol so ill try to do that for last. Links for guides on these things would be helpful as well :)

I've done my research and all (trust me ive looked at a lot of things) and I feel like im at the level now where i can finally go into rom development :D This is pretty exciting for me. As a first project, I would like to do the following:

-init.d support
-crt effects
-GPU UI rendering :eek: (this might be hard and sense needs it lol)
-Beats audio
-build.prop tweaks
-deodexed
-bloatware removed

There might be a thing or two that I might want to incorperate later, but I'll just go through the steps one at a time until I get it. So any helpful advice for doing this? Keep in mind this is my *first* project so i may derp (a lot :p). GPU UI rendering kinda scares me at this point lol so ill try to do that for last. Links for guides on these things would be helpful as well :)

You could use the android kitchen. It works great with our phones and I have used it myself.

[KITCHEN] Android Kitchen, v0.197 [Linux / Mac / Windows] - xda-developers

Yeah but I was wanting to become a full-fledged developer.. not the one who rely's on a noob tool.. if that's what the kitchen is considered.. or do a lot of devs use the kitchen for their works?

edit: A good rom dev friend of mine (playfulgod) has suggested that rather than bein lazy and relying on that to do everything for me I should research what/how the kitchen does its things

Yeah but I was wanting to become a full-fledged developer.. not the one who rely's on a noob tool.. if that's what the kitchen is considered.. or do a lot of devs use the kitchen for their works?

edit: A good rom dev friend of mine (playfulgod) has suggested that rather than bein lazy and relying on that to do everything for me I should research what/how the kitchen does its things

Smart friend. Once I move to houston in september ill be doing some rom making myself good luck to you:-)

good luck man keep us updated. I would like to learn some more on this too. shoot me some reading materials

So any1 wanna help me figure out why it won't boot? It just reboots back into 4ext after bein flashed

If I could logcat no need 2 post however.... it doesn't show anything and weirdest part of all /system/bin is absolutely empty :eek: I have no idea how that happened.. should i post my updater-script for analysis or somethin?

logcat doesn't work. first time I tried it it said permission denied. Second time I did it nothing came out completely. I did try su also.

edit: seems like its just a recovery thing, /sdcard reports empty when in 4ext over adb shell.. Weird.

edit 2: it boots! It was due to a wrong busybox installer script that i unknowingly ripped out of a toshiba thrive thread XD

at least you are having an easier time than me...im working on porting jellybean from scratch over to our phone, pain in the arse.

Why would you port jellybean? If it's an sdk port, it will work like junk, IF you ever get it to boot. Just wait for sources.

Back
Top Bottom