• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good review of POTENTIAL multitasking issue with htc.

Ok, so it isn't really a multitasking issue as much as just a killing a process to soon issue. I noticed she also said they did it on that particular phone because it has a sealed battery and HTC wanted to be sure the battery lasted as long as they say it does. So given the fact that Inc 4G has a removable and replaceable battery, I wonder if HTC's mode will not work the same on the Inc 4G:thinking:

Upvote 0
Ok, so it isn't really a multitasking issue as much as just a killing a process to soon issue. I noticed she also said they did it on that particular phone because it has a sealed battery and HTC wanted to be sure the battery lasted as long as they say it does. So given the fact that Inc 4G has a removable and replaceable battery, I wonder if HTC's mode will not work the same on the Inc 4G:thinking:

See the situation she describes at 1:45 and on about checking your online bank statements is EXACTLY what would be SUPER annoying to a SMART-phone user. If i check my account and then my bank sends me an email and i hop over to gmail and then want to hop back to the browser to look at more detail in the account and the BROWSER RESETS ITSELF.....that is totally unacceptable on HTC's part!

Why anyone would want to pay hundreds of dollars and lock themselves into a contract with a phone that can't multi-task properly is crazy. Even on the iphone, that didn't have true multi-tasking, at least FROZE all the apps. So they were always there to jump right back into (as long as the app was updated to 4.0 which most all good ones are).

Reactions: jj3699
Upvote 0
See the situation she describes at 1:45 and on about checking your online bank statements is EXACTLY what would be SUPER annoying to a SMART-phone user. If i check my account and then my bank sends me an email and i hop over to gmail and then want to hop back to the browser to look at more detail in the account and the BROWSER RESETS ITSELF.....that is totally unacceptable on HTC's part!

Why anyone would want to pay hundreds of dollars and lock themselves into a contract with a phone that can't multi-task properly is crazy. Even on the iphone, that didn't have true multi-tasking, at least FROZE all the apps. So they were always there to jump right back into (as long as the app was updated to 4.0 which most all good ones are).

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what your saying. All I am saying is true multitasking and killing apps are two different issues to me. HTC needs to wait on killing apps. That isn't a multitasking issue though. But I agree, I think the more I read about this and what Verizon did with the release of this phone and unlimited data... I am just going to wait and buy it if I still feel like it after the reviews start to roll in. I don't want a phablet, so it's looking like my only other option is to start to consider an iPhone... Or get the Inc 4G and hope a dev fixes this and install their ROM. But like she also said in the review, I don't want to bother with rooting. I did it to my Inc and felt it was more of a annoyance then anything.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, I agree with what your saying. All I am saying is true multitasking and killing apps are two different issues to me. HTC needs to wait on killing apps. That isn't a multitasking issue though. But I agree, I think the more I read about this and what Verizon did with the release of this phone and unlimited data... I am just going to wait and buy it if I still feel like it after the reviews start to roll in. I don't want a phablet, so it's looking like my only other option is to start to consider an iPhone... Or get the Inc 4G and hope a dev fixes this and install their ROM. But like she also said in the review, I don't want to bother with rooting. I did it to my Inc and felt it was more of a annoyance then anything.

If there is even 1 rom for this phone (which i'm sure there will be) it will fix the issue. But i agree, i don't plan on rooting my SGS3 now that with ICS we can hide and disable all bloatware apps. That's the only thing i really cared about. No need to overclock and do crazy stuff now that android on the SGS3 is buttery smooth as it will be on the HTC Inc 4g :)

Upvote 0
My brother-in-law is an AT&T store manager and uses the One X as his personal phone. I asked him about multi-tasking issues and he said he has not experienced any. To be honest, the example given in the video is extremely specific, and I doubt it would affect 99% of the users (it wouldn't affect me). Maybe there are other examples that I am not thinking of, but if that's the big issue, it isn't one for me.

Upvote 0
My brother-in-law is an AT&T store manager and uses the One X as his personal phone. I asked him about multi-tasking issues and he said he has not experienced any. To be honest, the example given in the video is extremely specific, and I doubt it would affect 99% of the users (it wouldn't affect me). Maybe there are other examples that I am not thinking of, but if that's the big issue, it isn't one for me.

Right, all the reading I was doing most people say it isn't an issue for them. They say, ya, it restarts apps, but it is so fast, you don't really notice it. I agree the bank issue is a very specific example and most likely wouldn't effect 99% of the people. I still think HTC should not change something ICS does very well already.

Upvote 0
Right, all the reading I was doing most people say it isn't an issue for them. They say, ya, it restarts apps, but it is so fast, you don't really notice it. I agree the bank issue is a very specific example and most likely wouldn't effect 99% of the people. I still think HTC should not change something ICS does very well already.

if you change the scenario just SLIGHTLY it should affect 99% of people. Checking your statement online, then switch to a text or phone call or email that pops in notification. But you weren't finished looking at account and switch back and bam, it reloads the whole thing and you have to re-enter username and password.

MOST people check their bank statements online these days and so would do it on their phones. This would be a common annoyance if you were to get the HOX. Probably could think up a dozen other circumenstances where you would run into a multi-tasking issue.

Of course if you treat your $650 smartphone like a dumbphone and only use one app at a time, then yeah it won't be a big deal :)

Reactions: jj3699 and today
Upvote 0
if you change the scenario just SLIGHTLY it should affect 99% of people. Checking your statement online, then switch to a text or phone call or email that pops in notification. But you weren't finished looking at account and switch back and bam, it reloads the whole thing and you have to re-enter username and password.

MOST people check their bank statements online these days and so would do it on their phones. This would be a common annoyance if you were to get the HOX. Probably could think up a dozen other circumenstances where you would run into a multi-tasking issue.

Of course if you treat your $650 smartphone like a dumbphone and only use one app at a time, then yeah it won't be a big deal :)

You have a very lagitimate statement IF that is the case. Is that the case? Is that what happens? I have not read any threads stating that and don't have a phone to try it on. I sure would like to know if somebody can try that, even on a One X or S... I guess I should say how long is it till Sense unloads the browser in this scenario. Even your bank logs you off after a certain amount of time. I think my bank is 7 minutes.

Upvote 0
You have a very lagitimate statement IF that is the case. Is that the case? Is that what happens? I have not read any threads stating that and don't have a phone to try it on. I sure would like to know if somebody can try that, even on a One X or S... I guess I should say how long is it till Sense unloads the browser in this scenario. Even your bank logs you off after a certain amount of time. I think my bank is 7 minutes.

I only know one person who has a One X, and he is a power user and said he has experienced no issues. As I posted earlier, he is an AT&T store manager and has had all of the best phones, and he told me he is extremely happy with the One X. To be fair, however, had AT&T announced the GS3 prior to his getting the One X, he said he would have held out for that. But he is not unhappy with the One X.

Reactions: jamala00
Upvote 0
I only know one person who has a One X, and he is a power user and said he has experienced no issues. As I posted earlier, he is an AT&T store manager and has had all of the best phones, and he told me he is extremely happy with the One X. To be fair, however, had AT&T announced the GS3 prior to his getting the One X, he said he would have held out for that. But he is not unhappy with the One X.

I put a post on the One X\XL forum and asked if somebody would try that particular scenario for me. I'm just curious. I just tried it on my Inc 2 and the browser leaves me right where I was.

Upvote 0
I put a post on the One X\XL forum and asked if somebody would try that particular scenario for me. I'm just curious. I just tried it on my Inc 2 and the browser leaves me right where I was.

i wasn't aware that the inc 2 had the same version of Sense as the HTC One X. or are you running a rooted phone with a rom? Cause if you have the stock ICS from HTC maybe it's just on the One X and One S that they gimped the multi-tasking.

Upvote 0
i wasn't aware that the inc 2 had the same version of Sense as the HTC One X. or are you running a rooted phone with a rom? Cause if you have the stock ICS from HTC maybe it's just on the One X and One S that they gimped the multi-tasking.

Ya, sorry... should have clarified that... You are correct, I have a non-rooted Inc 2, so ya, I would expect it to NOT have the issue, which it doesn't. I just wanted to verify that it is Sense 4.0 that has the possible issue. Hopefully one of the kind users on the One X forum will try it out for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones