• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

google and android device pains, anger & resolution

gudguy1a

Lurker
This is just a thread to vent, sorry if I offend anyone.

This is primarily against google and forcing users to create yet another email account JUST SO it is added to the friggin' android device SO IT CAN ACTUALLY SYNC up to the goofy, sorry, google servers!

Why does google force users to use a goofy mail email address to set up a new android device? Is it just for their attempt at capturing and mining user data...!!!! Why can't we use any email address so it is interoperable instead of isolationist oriented...???? (And yes, I did attempt to use my regular email but it never synced up.)

It took me a day and a half of going through different forums before I finally figured it out on my own (since google leaves it up to the "community" to answer each "community member's" question at hand) - and I am an experienced IT user.

So, if you too are angry at being forced to use a goofy mail email address - just go ahead and create it.
Once you create it, go into that gmail account and turn on email forwarding to your regularly used email.
Then set it to delete the gmail, sorry, goofy mail email address if you do not want a copy there.

This is really annoying and aggravating when google, yahoo, facebook, microsoft all want users to ONLY use their services at all times, unless you can figure out some kind of work-around.
And it is even worse at the application store for an "app" you might want to use - no application needs to be able to access your:
contacts (or even look for contacts), all accounts - let alone FIND accounts, or modify your USB/storage device (unless google, ONLY google, finds malicious software in some app that was improperly vetted), your location all the time, or full network access,social network(s), or most of the other multiple items on your device.

No application needs that kind of access, other than google updating services, tracking services or malware security - that is it.
And yes, it does mean that some of us will not be installing some of those store applications - no matter how 'neat' it is...

Let's face it, data is worth money, and if a company can find a way to make money, they will.

When I was a kid (back in the old stone age), we used to joke that some day they'd find a way to charge for water. Now there's a company whose name I won't mention that wants to be able to declare public water their own property so they can sell it to us. I hope breathing is still free as long as I'm alive. I'd hate to die just because I couldn't afford to pay my breathing tax.

As far as anyone taking offense at your venting, if anyone does it's their problem, not yours. No one forced them to read your post.

Please gelp me understand. Is this in reference to your Samsung GN/2014? My email address and user name is the same for my tab and Droid Razr phone.
I hate The Communist Google Nation as much as the next person but I'm not quite understanding your rant. Something I just discovered yesterday is that, unless I'm overlooking something, you now have to have a Google+ acct to have a Youtube Acct :( That won't be happening! I can't even get to and manage my existing videos :(

Yep, thanks Rukbat.
Data is truly money and that is what they are all attempting to get at.
Then too, it is the reason why I use so much bogus, obfuscating data at so many web sites.
--- The public water situation, now that is a bit of a stretch, wow...
And yep, my vent - I didn't really care if anyone got excited or not, it was only to mollify the overseers for this site who 'might' get overzealous in censoring users' comments...

Monicakm,
Yes, it is, it was why I posted to this specific forum. I had believed I had it listed as one of my devices, will have to check that out.

And, actually, you do understand my little tirade. It is the requirement of having a goofy mail email (gmail) address on the device in order for it to sync.
It was something that completely floored me and infuriated me at the same time - that we HAVE TO use a goofy mail email address in order to sync the device and be able to download and install any of the various online applications, especially from the google "play" store.
--- But, I don't plan on downloading many (if any) of these 'free' or '$' apps when the developers state that when one accepts the download and install, that you, the user should be aware that the app will have a great deal of control to access various things on 'your' device - content that most applications really do not need (and I know this because I've been in information security/cybersecurity a very long time).

The youtube issue, I was not aware of that - that is simply too bad and getting far too much into overreach. Even if google does own youtube, that should not become a requirement that a person HAS to or MUST have a goofy + account in order to put up videos on youtube.

All of these 'requirements' just make many of us angry at the companies who require these things, in turn causing some of us to turn to competitors when we can find them. Or stop using the services altogether...
It 'almost' makes me wish some evil hacker in Russia or china does something, well, never mind.... that would be bad and in poor taste on my part in suggesting something 'evil.'

No-one forced you to buy a phone with a Google operating system. If you don't like Google you are perfectly free to buy an Apple or Microsoft phone.

As to Google being communist, what are bizarre comment about one of the world's most successful capitalist organisations.

No-one forced you to buy a phone with a Google operating system. If you don't like Google you are perfectly free to buy an Apple or Microsoft phone.

As to Google being communist, what are bizarre comment about one of the world's most successful capitalist organisations.

Hmmmm..... Yes, thank you fellow human for that eye opening statement about the Gapple, errr, apple and microsoft devices.

In defense of the communistic comment, some of us 'can' sympathize with what was stated. When one is forced to use a specific account to use a particular commercial product, that goes beyond capitalistic, that is dictatorial, rather than being "more" open and allowing users to use an "existing" email address - "we" are forced to use a "GOOGLE" account. As stated previously, I do not use goofy mail email but am forced to use that gmail account just to sync up the bloody device.

Many of us also know what we are getting into when we purchase particular products - WE JUST DO NOT LIKE IT!!!

But to top it off, I had completely forgotten about the lack of Adobe Flash Player support on Android devices (until I was rudely shocked with it last night). This makes some things rather painful to do, forcing one to go to their desktop/laptop computing devices instead of using the shiny, new, expensive toy that was purchased to allow for more convenient and opportunistic viewing of some site (in this case it was only a boring Intelligence/cybersecurity presentation being hosted in the U.K.).

To close, I only wish there were not so many individuals, globally, who are intentionally glib, flip or just want to make the same old repeated tired comments to others - instead of being assistive or supportive....

But, people are free to say what they want in our society, so thank you for making your contribution.

This is kind of humorous.

You should research devices before you buy them. Apple would make you create an Apple account, granted you could use your existing email, but you still need one. I'm sure Microsoft does the same thing.

Apple iOS has never supported Flash. Pretty sure I remember reading in the Steve Jobs biography that Jobs hated Adobe. In general, Flash should go away. More people are programming in HTML5 which completely does away with the need for Flash, but it will be time before everyone has updated to HTML5. I do understand this frustration as there are enough sites still using Flash, and if you want Flash on your modern Android device, you have to do a work around.

In today's society, if you want to use one company's services, you need to sign up for their stuff. That is just how it works anymore. Google cannot provide the backup services using your non-Google email address because that doesn't establish your space on the Google Drive.

If it is really that bad of a thing for you to have a Google account, do a factory data reset and return the device, assuming it is still in that period of time since purchase. Then go do some research to see if there even exists a device that does what you want it to do. You bought one of the best Android tablets on the market, and it's not working for you. Android isn't for everyone.

But, I caution, you will run into similar problems on other tablet platforms. A very quick Google search (used for ironic effect) shows that Windows 8/8.1 RT (the OS on the Surface and Surface 2) should support Flash, but there are people having trouble with it. If Flash is that important to your normal usage, you might want to check that out.

For me, I love what Google offers. The email, calendar, cloud storage, the mobile OS and all the other little stuff (and have been using GMail for nearly 10 years).

Not everyone does.

@racer12306
Yes, thank you.

@Rukbat
Well fellow netizen, I myself found it rather humorous and after I got off the floor from laughing so hard, at reading the most recent posting, I had to go change undies from laughing that hard...
It appears that one cannot post a rant/vent without someone else believing that the venter is just some uninformed, mindless, illiterate, rube who did not perform any kind of research (meticulous or otherwise) whatsoever.
My, my, my... guess I'm'a'gonna haf'ta start including disclaimers at the beginning of items I post in the future...

I think you may have got your @s mixed up.

Where in racer12306's post did it say that you are an "uninformed, mindless, illiterate, rube"?

You said in your post (in which you appear to have attempted to use every formatting option available to you to the extent that it is actually quite difficult to read) that "Many of us also know what we are getting into when we purchase particular products - WE JUST DO NOT LIKE IT!!!"

What your post therefore amounts to is saying that you knew the terms of the deal, signed up to it and afterwards decided to complain about your decision to people who can do nothing about it. What sort of reaction were you expecting?

So you researched what an Android tablet is all about, the OS, the Flash issue, the Google signup, decided that you don't like that stuff and still bought the device?

Must be nice to have over $500 to piss away on somethat doesn't do what you want it to do.

Would Google be reason why I'd be sitting at home with my phone and then all of a sudden my location pin point would have me in other locations? Could Google be using my phone data and info for that? I'm totally stupid where this is concerned. But I know I'm sitting at home with kids and husband while it shows me going all over the place. Someone help this dummy understand please!

brownfieldtammi - "if" you hadn't already done so, try powering your phone off & on to see if your location reverts back to normal.
Hopefully no one has skimmed your SIM card info... As a federal intelligence officer, I worry about that a great deal and keep my phones in scan proof containers while in public.

Not really sure if it is google doing that or not because I am no longer sure about their intentions where profit is concerned (i.e. since google purportedly is working with ALEC) but this is not the place for that discussion.

Try the "track my phone location" if you have that kind of app on the phone or if it is available from the vendors' web site (google, Samsung, etc.) - to see where that shows you where your device is.
I "would" log in ASAP to your cell phone carrier and see if there is any illicit activity for that cell phone number...

If it comes down to it, you 'might' want to give the device vendor a call to assist - I'm not 100% sure why you are getting that kind of location activity. My LoJack has one of my laptops at a different location but LoJack stated that was only preliminary info and not actual info (to which I stated, well, that's another story).

Also brownfieldtammi - I would suggest going to a different, more apt thread for broader and possibly more accurate responses to your specific question. Good luck.

Please gelp me understand. Is this in reference to your Samsung GN/2014? My email address and user name is the same for my tab and Droid Razr phone.
I hate The Communist Google Nation as much as the next person but I'm not quite understanding your rant. Something I just discovered yesterday is that, unless I'm overlooking something, you now have to have a Google+ acct to have a Youtube Acct :( That won't be happening! I can't even get to and manage my existing videos :(

Yes! This whole thing got me to start a fake account. And I'm a very honest person with nothing to hide!! Here is what I do: I have a google email acct that I use personally as well as one that is only for social media (FB, Twitter, etc as well as YouTube.) I loathe G+ as a social networking site as Google basically forces me to put people that I've contacted into my circles. EVERYONE. Even if I sent them a hate email. I have everything possible turned off on G+ other than using the cloud to sync photos which are stored as private.

Back
Top Bottom