• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Google Now issue. (W/Katana, Samurai ROM)

Endymion

And it's a really simple one.

And yes I know, there is a massive thread over at the xda forum, now closed as the project is dead. I read a good three pages and didn't see my issue so before I buckle down and try to search, if anybody can lend a hand or a hint it would be glorius.

I'm currently running Katana with Freedom Kernel and the built in (I presume, inverted) Google Now app does not seem to function properly when I search for anything. A simple search brings up a nice page filled with links from whichever sources I ask, but the moment that I attempt to click on any of them the app just squats around. It isn't frozen, it still responds if I scroll up or down, go to various tabs (Web, Images, etc.) but I cannot get from the Google Now app to a web browser. Firefox is installed as my default browser, not sure if that could have anything to do with this though. I also had this problem previously when running Samurai, no idea if the ROM is at issue (I assume not) but it would seem the problem is the same between them. The only time I didn't have a problem clicking through a link from Google Now, was the first time I used it when reverting to Katana, some months ago now.

This is really the smallest issue and I'd just live with it if it weren't for the PITA factor of it being the default search on the home screen. If there's a way to change that to any old Google search page I could always go that route, but is this a known issue with any possible fix anybody knows about? It would be nice to be able to keep using the ICS Google Now, gimped as it may be... just not THIS gimped.

Edit: Okay, I just discovered, if I move all the way across the right after a search, the Phone list, that gives an option to go to sources on the phone, actually works if I click on certain apps in the list, like Wikipedia for instance. But everything else across the wwweb does not open. So is this a browser issue perhaps, or a GNow issue?

The version of gnow we have was ported over from jb to ics and the developer said he will never update it again. It will never fully work again on ics unless the dev updates it.

It seems that the more google updates Gnow, it makes the ported ics version work less and less.

Go to the XDA thread and flash the gnow remover under the "Back to Stock" section which will remove gnow and revert back to stock search. From what I remember stock search opens results in a browser.

Google_Now_Remover

Back
Top Bottom