• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play Store data usage high

My Android 8 system phone is showing that Google Play Store has used a total of 1.01 Gb of data since Jun 5, almost all of it in the background. This seems really strange to me. I have supposedly unlimited data on my cell phone service plan but the speed drops when usage exceeds 2 GB per month. I usually turn off WIFI when I'm away from home and avoid public WIFI for security reasons. Are there any settings I should be tweaking to lower this data usage, maybe to limit Play Store to updating apps, for example, only when I'm on my home WIFI (which is a different provider than my phone?)

Look in the Play Store app's settings. The "app download preferences" let you choose only to download apps over WiFi (does not let you specify which WiFi). You can also set "auto update apps" to "WiFi only", or else to only notify you when updates are available (which lets you choose for yourself when/whether to download the update).

That said, 1 GB seems a lot, unless your apps include some large games.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones