• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help google play store/ google play services "glitches" please help.

lakcore

Lurker
Woke up yesterday morning and I was unable to use any app google or gmail related. Every time I try to open the play store it instantly closes out. "Google" is no longer under the accounts tab in the settings. Can't log into any apps using google because they just crash when I try. Have tried EVERYTHING. Cleared cache and data and uninstalled updates for all google related apps hoping it would help. Nothing. ( yes I tried rebooting it). I have now factory restarted/wiped my phone 3 times and every time I get to the start up wizard I get "verizon location agent has failed" then I get "google play services has failed". Even without completing the startup wizard google and the play store still don't work. Called verizon. Then google. Then Motorola. They couldn't fix anything. Don't know what to do can't use a lot of my apps and I have no contacts just numbers.

If this happened after a factory reset, it sure sounds like a hardware failure - some sort of corruption to the system folder on the phone maybe?

The only other thing I might try is to try to set it up after a factory reset with the SIM removed. Make sure that the phone is powered off and remove the SIM, which is in a tray that includes the volume up and down buttons. (Be very careful when you remove the tray, remove the SIM - make note of which way is up - and then replace the tray without the SIM card into the phone.) I'm not 100% sure that the phone will set up without a SIM, but, if it does, you'll need WiFi to go through activation, though. It may be that the Verizon SIM card is bad, but I can't recall every seeing an error like yours. If you can't get it to set up from WiFi with the SIM removed I think I'd be calling Verizon to get a warranty replacement if I were you.

Good luck...

If this happened after a factory reset, it sure sounds like a hardware failure - some sort of corruption to the system folder on the phone maybe?

The only other thing I might try is to try to set it up after a factory reset with the SIM removed. Make sure that the phone is powered off and remove the SIM, which is in a tray that includes the volume up and down buttons. (Be very careful when you remove the tray, remove the SIM - make note of which way is up - and then replace the tray without the SIM card into the phone.) I'm not 100% sure that the phone will set up without a SIM, but, if it does, you'll need WiFi to go through activation, though. It may be that the Verizon SIM card is bad, but I can't recall every seeing an error like yours. If you can't get it to set up from WiFi with the SIM removed I think I'd be calling Verizon to get a warranty replacement if I were you.

Good luck...
It didn't happen after a reset that I know of. Just woke up and wasn't able to do anything google related. That sounds like a logical solution though. Called verizon. They sent me to google then google sent me to Motorola. All three were completely baffled when they couldn't figure it out. Will be getting a replacement eventually once I have my credit card issue figured out. But if I could somehow fix it that would be nice too.

Last edited:
It didn't happen after a reset that I know of.
No, I meant if it still happened after a factory reset. In other words, if a factory reset didn't solve the problem, there is something wrong more than data corruption in google services.

No, I meant if it still happened after a factory reset. In other words, if a factory reset didn't solve the problem, there is something wrong more than data corruption in google services.
That's what I was guessing. Any idea what else I could do?

That's what I was guessing. Any idea what else I could do?
Well, like I said before, you could try doing a factory reset with the verizon sim removed to rule out an issue with the SIM card. Again - make sure that the phone is powered off when you remove or install a SIM card, and be careful when you reinsert the tray that you don't damage it.

Back
Top Bottom