• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Reader is being retired?!

ardchoille

Android Expert
Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
I have been using Google Reader to keep up with RSS feeds for years. Today I opened Google Reader and received this notice:

"Google Reader will not be available after July 1, 2013"

The full notice can be found here:
Google Reader will be retired on July 1, 2013

Wowsers, I wasn't even aware that Google was contemplating this. This was a nice service and I depended on it for much of my news content.

Anyone know of a good, reliable, online RSS feed service? I should find a good rss feed reader for Android.

I'll wait 'til June though, maybe Google is playing a terrible joke on us anyway...
^^^^^This!

I hope they change their minds cos I'm not sure I like any of the alternative readers out their. As far as I know right now, feedly is the only reader with a solution to its dependence on the Reader API once Reader is shut down.

A lot of Reader alternatives rely on Google's Reader API for its app. So a lot of alternative readers are going to be useless come July.

GOOGLE! KEEP READER!

Signed,

The Internet

Reactions: ardchoille
Upvote 0
^^^^^This!

I hope they change their minds cos I'm not sure I like any of the alternative readers out their. As far as I know right now, feedly is the only reader with a solution to its dependence on the Reader API once Reader is shut down.

A lot of Reader alternatives rely on Google's Reader API for its app. So a lot of alternative readers are going to be useless come July.

GOOGLE! KEEP READER!

Signed,

The Internet

Agreed. I'm holding onto the google reader app that Google has in the play store just in case they change their minds.

The good thing that came out of this is that I was introduced to Flipboard, it's quite nice for news items and has rss features that are not fully dependent on the Reader API.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones