• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Services Wakelock/battery drain problem

StevenSeed

Android Enthusiast
I've just noticed that Google Play has auto-updated on my phone, so I'm wondering if there is a fix for the Google Play Services/Location Services wakelock problem tagged on to it?

It test it, I've enabled the "High Accuracy" location services feature and will report back what happens.........

Mine has been behaving for the past week or so, with negligible wakelocks. I'm not aware of a Play Services update - the installed version is 5.0.89 - nor have I reconfigured anything differently. Something has definitely changed though.

I've therefore decided that it's the work of the interwebz faeries. :)

Mine is still screwed!

1407706530414.jpg

1407706543726.jpg

I'd say still very very screwed! Check this out!

Attachments

• 1408022539199.jpg
    1408022539199.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 1408022547105.jpg
    1408022547105.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 60
I'm just popping on here to report the exact same thing.

My other half has been reporting really bad battery drain over the past couple of days and Play services is always the culprit. We went to bed and her handset was fully charged last night, we woke up and it was at 8%. Her handset also runs very hot under normal use too.

Same version of Play Services as the OP, all other software up to date.

Same version of Play Services as my Z1 too, but I'm having no issues whatsoever.

What are the implications of disabling? Does everything Google related stop working (the only real issue with that would be Gmail)?

I've got Location Mode set to "Device only", and used App Ops to disable Google Play Services' location use. I've noticed no loss of functionality and my battery usage (with Stamina Mode enabled) is as expected.

That sounds doable. She's not rooted (you need root for App Ops I presume), but the process doesn't look any more difficult that anything I've done in the past so I'll give it a whirl tonight.

She's travelling soon and if it loses 92%, connected to my home network with a relatively strong cell signal, I imagine it would die significantly faster when she's on the bus.

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom