• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google the next Apple?

HotRoderX

Android Enthusiast
With the way the Nexus 7 has sold I wonder if Google has become the next Apple. Where people just buy the product because it has "Google" on it.

Please don't take this as me saying that the Nexus 7 is not a good product. At the current price point of 199 its a true bargain in the tablet world. I just wonder how many people got one because of it saying Google.

If this was true then the Nexus line would have sold a lot better. I believe people are buying it because its $199 and it has the name Google on it. Most will assume its not a cheap knockoff that performs poorly. A $699 tablet will Google's name wouldn't sell very well.

For me it was the form factor, specs, and the price all matched up perfectly. I will say that were there two identical devices and one had the Nexus branding (not Google) I would take the Nexus everytime as I am assured timely updates.

Hopefully my post didn't come off as trollish I didn't want it to.

Glad to here what I am hearing. Google is a really awesome company that continues to grow really fast. I just worry that like many big company's they might lose there way. Tell yea the truth I was worried the Nexus could put them in a position were they think they could create a 800 dollar tablet that just has a bigger screen like Apple.

I didn't read your post as trollish at all. You raise a very valid question. I could add to what I already posted and say that had they release a 10" tablet @ $400 I wouldn't have purchased it as two of the three criteria important to me would not have been met (size and price point).

I'm thinking because of the price tag and that it's a overall good product, especially given the price. I wonder how the mini iPad would do compared to this one.

Nexus devices are upgraded by Google, there's very good reasons to buy them on the nexus name alone.

Also, it's not made by google, it's made by Asus .

Apple gets into the wallets of people that obtain information by watching TV. People that actually pay attention will at least see both sides before jumping.

I didn't read your post as trollish at all. You raise a very valid question. I could add to what I already posted and say that had they release a 10" tablet @ $400 I wouldn't have purchased it as two of the three criteria important to me would not have been met (size and price point).

That's good to here I figured being new it might come off as trollish because its kinda a sensitive topic in my eyes.

Google had the sense to offer a low cost but highly functional tablet at break-even profit JUST to gain market penetration. The other Android tablet manufacturers were all too greedy and assumed specs would guarantee success.

Android tablets have been caught in a chicken and egg loop. Low app selection because of low adoption rates. Low adoption rates because of low app selection. Google finally said enough is enough and decided to break this cycle.

Sure they're taking a monetary sacrifice, but it was the smart long term move. This is exactly how the Japanese came to dominate the car market in the early 80s.

There are a whole list of reasons why Google will never be an other Apple. Not going into it to far but to say cruise to googles Inc site and read their mission Statement starting with "10 Things We Believe to Be true".
The structures of the companies and guiding philosophies are at far ends of the spectrum.

The Nexus7 is awesome at first look but suffers the same thing that makes me hate the Kindle Fires we have. No SD slot and only 8/16gb of storage that has to be shared with the OS. Im not for this cloud storage deal Amazon does and if I had known then wouldn't have bought them. If I don't have a physical copy of something I don't own it.

Hey Google don't be stupid, other than this fact I would choose this tablet over most much more popular /expensive machines not cause I can't afford them but because the amount of bang for the buck you get from the Nexus7. Not to mention how much more of a pure Android experience can you get than to get it right from google?

And I am on the hunt for a tab right now been going over specs for awhile.

It's not because it was Google, it's because it's cheap, has decent specs, is highly portable and has access to a large market of apps. The fact that it's from Google is just an extra since it means better updates and support.

Back
Top Bottom