• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice - How do I UN link my voicemail?

Roaddog

So I just got my Google Voice invite today, and rushed through the setup process. I now can't for the life of me, figure out how to NOT use my Google Voice voicemail and just use the standard Verizon voicemail.

When I go to Settings>Call>Voicemail Service and toggle it back to "My Carrier" and then dial *86 instead of getting my Verizon inbox choices it gives me my Google Voice voicemail greeting and prompts me to leave a message.

I've toggled the "Google Voicemail" and "My Carrier" setting back and forth a few times to no avail, tried to reboot, unlinked and uninstalled everything and still can't seem to figure out how to get back to the normal Verizon voicemail box. I know I'll eventually get comfortable with GV that I'll just want to use that, but for the time being I'd like to use my Verizon voicemail. Not to mention that there were 4 messages in that inbox that I hadn't listened to yet and now I cannot find them or access them anywhere.

I have no idea how to remedy this and it's driving me up the wall. Any help?

goto the GV website...... goto settings>phones> beside your mobile number listing click on Deactivate Google Voicemail on this phone

THEN on phone goto menu>settings>call>voicemail service> my carrier.......

then voicemail settings and verify that *86 is listed

then you are set to verizon Vmail

Dial *720 or *710 that cancels all forwarding, then your regular vm should work again. Google VZW call forwarding cancel, just iv case my memory is off. It's not uncommon for me to mix up Alltel and VZW codes ;)

Not to hijack the OP, but I'm having the same problem. Did *73 yesterday, reset voicemail to Verizon, Uninstalled Google Voice App, changed voicemail number back to *86 and Rebooted. Now, I'm not getting any voicemail notifications...:confused:

*710 seemed to reset it for me, I appreciate it. Copestag, I'm not sure if the website looks different regionally, but I don't have a "deactivate voicemail" option on my Google Voice web portal when I go into settings>phone at all. I have a list of phones my GV # is forwarded it to and the ability to select/deselect them, but no VM specific options at all.

Now that I've figured out how to turn it on/off I'm having another issue as well. I turned it all back "on" to make sure that I'd gotten the process for toggling it figured out. With everything turned "on" I called my normal (non GV #) from an outside line and my VM didn't pick up at all. It would simply ring, and then when VM should pick up it would go to a busy signal.

Not sure what's going on. Once I get this all figured out this will be a great tool and something that I actually get a lot of use out of. Figuring it all out is a bit daunting though, and it seems like they've overcomplicated it quite a bit. Still in testing, I know, but if I'm having trouble getting it sorted, there's no way my parents would be able to do it.

EDIT: Just found the "activate google voicemail" options on the website. You have to have the phone you're forwarding your GV # to set as "mobile" or the option won't turn up at all. I had previously left it set to "home."

Back
Top Bottom