• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice with Kyocera Rise issues

vmbridun

Apr 9, 2013
Hi guys. I am trying to start using a google voice number for my calls and texts. I'll be moving to a different state and I chose a number that is appropriate to the city I will be in (we are building a house and will move in September hopefully). I can easily text without problems from the google voice number to my cell number (same phone) and it works fine both to and from both numbers. However I have GV app set to always dial calls (presumably from the regular android dialer??) through GV (troubleshooting here since when I had it set up to always ask which to dial from it didnt work properly). Calls always call from my Virgin Mobile number regardless. On occasion (it happened twice) when I had the setting set up to always ask which to dial from It dialed from my virgin mobile number, when i hung up before the call was answered - was calling our home phone - it then immediately called that same number via google voice's number. But that only did it twice out of the 5 or 6 times I've tried dialing out from my phone since setting up GV this morning.

I rebooted the phone twice between changing GV settings on the phone and it just didn't seem to help at all. Is there some kind of block set up by virgin mobile on the kyocera rise phone? I'm at a loss as what to do to fix this. I do want to (once i get this working) choose GV to only dial out for international calls, since i never dial international numbers it will presumably never be used until I move to our new house and change it to always dial via GV. Anyone else have a fix for these issues?

I did test calling through GV on my mac through gmail.com and it worked fine.

OH and the one time we called from my home phone to my GV number, it did eventually ring, i answered it, then it forced me to dial 1 to "answer" the call but doing so it immediately sent that call to GV voicemail. It seems there is some issue with virgin mobile and GV. I know due to VM's rules/limitations-whatever i can't use GV for standard voicemail due to their restriction of call forwarding. I'm not worried about that.

Help, please!!

Hi guys. I am trying to start using a google voice number for my calls and texts. I'll be moving to a different state and I chose a number that is appropriate to the city I will be in (we are building a house and will move in September hopefully). I can easily text without problems from the google voice number to my cell number (same phone) and it works fine both to and from both numbers. However I have GV app set to always dial calls (presumably from the regular android dialer??) through GV (troubleshooting here since when I had it set up to always ask which to dial from it didnt work properly). Calls always call from my Virgin Mobile number regardless. On occasion (it happened twice) when I had the setting set up to always ask which to dial from It dialed from my virgin mobile number, when i hung up before the call was answered - was calling our home phone - it then immediately called that same number via google voice's number. But that only did it twice out of the 5 or 6 times I've tried dialing out from my phone since setting up GV this morning.

I rebooted the phone twice between changing GV settings on the phone and it just didn't seem to help at all. Is there some kind of block set up by virgin mobile on the kyocera rise phone? I'm at a loss as what to do to fix this. I do want to (once i get this working) choose GV to only dial out for international calls, since i never dial international numbers it will presumably never be used until I move to our new house and change it to always dial via GV. Anyone else have a fix for these issues?

I did test calling through GV on my mac through gmail.com and it worked fine.

OH and the one time we called from my home phone to my GV number, it did eventually ring, i answered it, then it forced me to dial 1 to "answer" the call but doing so it immediately sent that call to GV voicemail. It seems there is some issue with virgin mobile and GV. I know due to VM's rules/limitations-whatever i can't use GV for standard voicemail due to their restriction of call forwarding. I'm not worried about that.

Help, please!!
I use an app called "Spare Phone" & it uses your Google Voice Number, ...or "Groove IP"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones