• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice won't stay default VM

Does anyone know how to get it so when you press the voicemail icon in the dialer app it will launch Google Voice? Right now it tries to launch Verizon Visual Voicemail.
Not sure you can make it work that way. Your voicemail is in GV, not Verizon. You have to retrieve/listen to it through the GV app. I don't know of any way to redirect the Verizon app to the GV app, it's two separate things/services.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
I don't know of any way to redirect the Verizon app to the GV app, it's two separate things/services.
No, my voicemail icon on the 1 dials my google number to let me access voicemail. I don't usually check my GV over the phone (sort of defeats the purpose) but mine is set the way the op wants. I verified by calling my google number directly and with the dialer (long press 1). Happens when you select voicemail in call settings. OP may want to check call settings - setup in voicemail to make sure his GV number and account is recognized

Upvote 0
Huh. So you didn't do anything besides set up GV as voicemail on Verizon by dialing *71 GV#? It just set itself up that way all by itself? Mine never did.

I no longer use the standard dialer and my 1 is set for a different speed dial so I can't check. I've always just used the GV app. I get a notification, click it (opens GV app), listen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones