• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wodin

Oct 26, 2009
Sandwich Isles
I currently have an HTC EVO 4G on Sprint (past contract date), and am looking seriously at getting a G-Note, porting my number to it, and turning off the EVO. What I'm not sure about is that I have my number also ported to Google Voice, and get SMS, voicemail, email notifications etc. from there. I also have my Samsung G-Tab (VZW, off contract) on the list, so I also get everything there too.

I'm thinking that with a G-Note, I can get rid of both the EVO and the SGT, and go back to carrying just one device. The savings from turning off both plans and activating a 450 min/3 GB plan on ATT is almost a wash.

The question is, if I port my number to a new G-Note, what will happen to Google Voice. Will it be transparent, as I suspect, or will unknown and unforseen problems arise?

Google voice is, as you expected, transparent across all devices. If you are 100% committed to google voice, don't even worry about porting your number. Just get a new one, and register it in google voice. Using the web settings in GV is the easiest way to accomplish this. I have been using GV exclusively for quite a while. You will not have any problems.

Reactions: wodin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones