• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Googoo play services

Rgarner

Android Expert
Do I really need that? Isn't it Android system web view that gets the job done? What would happen if I rolled the googoo crap back, deleted data, etc.?

Kind of a big deal I would think, per a Google Search : Google Play services helps to ensure the security and reliability of an Android device, and keep devices updated with the latest security features. This includes: Google Play Protect, which can warn users if an app contains known malware.

Android System WebView only pertains to background Internet access services, and primarily only for Chromium based browsers. (Firefox users don't need it.)
On the other hand Android Play Services is more tightly integrated into the installed Android operating system itself on your phone. It's part of Google's gradual efforts to take Android OS security updating away from manufactures and carriers since they have failed so miserably at doing so for years now. So yeah, disable if if you can and make your phone less safe from online compromises. Web browsers are definitively not the only services running on your phone that interact with the Internet. Otherwise, just leave the Android Play Services app as is to do what it's supposed to be doing.

Kind of a big deal I would think, per a Google Search : Google Play services helps to ensure the security and reliability of an Android device, and keep devices updated with the latest security features. This includes: Google Play Protect, which can warn users if an app contains known malware.
Google play protect is a great thing, how many times it has protected me from various Internet threats!

Without Google Play Services you can't access Play Store, many apps would refuse to open (showing a notification saying 'this app won't run until you enable/update Play Services) and many GPS apps won't work. Also, any app that has in-app purchases or subsciption content won't work since billing goes through Google Play Services, and any 'paid' app you use might be unable to verify your license (that you own the app). Essentially, a lot of stuff won't work, and that includes many things that make Android usable (even YouTube won't work unless you use it via the browser, namely, one such as Samsung Internet instead of Chrome since even Chrome wants Google Play Services to be there)

If you don't use app stores, Google apps or any app that depends on Play Services (and have an open-source GPS navigation app that just uses GPS and not 'high accuracy' the latter of which depends on Google) essentially if you want a De-Googled device, you can disable it, and net better battery life and performance. A lot of the permissions that Google Play Services has, as well as its 'capabilities' are very close to a virus, so despite my view not being popular around these parts, the world won't end if you disable it.

Google Play Services has been a major integration to Android since Android 2.3, Gingerbread. It replaced GMS, or Google Mobile Services, and became a part of Android after the Android Market became Google Play.

They should have left it Android Market. Whatever happened to people finding their own way? There's a book called Be Expert with Map and Compass...just sayin'.

i don't know, i get around just fine. i don't have any issues with the play store. and of course they are going to make it difficult when you plan to try and cut out google as much as possible. they are going to make you jump thru hoops to do it. or make it impossible not to have some of their services.

Ironically I know how to actually use a map and compass. But there's people today who couldn't find the way to the grocery store without a GPS app.

the Android Market had a unique UI that fit Android well, and was not controlled exclusively by Google, and was more 'open' for lack of a better term. Google Play Store has too many UI redesigns, and depends heavily on Play Services, locks a lot of crap down (you can't fully turn updates off, it updates certain apps even with auto updates disabled anyway and then there's Safetynet and Play Protect to add to the frustration).

Android Market and Android 2.3 will always be a fond memory. A shame I can't use it today. Today's Android feels a lot more like iOS than I want to admit. I don't want to feel like I'm using an Apple product. I want the geekyness and freedom that Android once was back. I want USB Mass Storage back. I want to be able to root without penalties (such as not being able to use certain apps and games), I want custom ROMs to have the level of customization that CyanogenMod 7.1 did.

The high amount of morons that make up the majority (I mean come on, I was able to read the manuals that came with my IBM PC and still had time to live my life!) are why we can't have nice things anymore.

Ok, what would happen if I cleared not just cache but storage? Would googoo services crash? What would happen if I cleared other apps' storage?

Ok, what would happen if I cleared not just cache but storage? Would googoo services crash? What would happen if I cleared other apps' storage?
The world is for the people who DARE to do things. Go for it... don't think, DO! Clear everything... Even better, smash the phone with a big rock. Ultimate clearing app: the cinder block. Do we have a question? 2.3? Market? Gone. Frodo? Gollum? Is there a ring? Oh my Lord!

I love making sense :)

That Blu government phone got tried that way. Googoo play services were shut down completely. Of course it screamed about that, demanding that the crap be reinstated, but guess who held firm? In the end it works just fine without their bull despite their lies to the contrary.

Clearing cache won't hurt anything. It just deletes any stored content (sometimes this includes downloads from YouTube Music, and downloaded maps from Maps as well) but it might use more battery to redownload anything it was keeping track of before you cleared it. Google Play Services always seems to run in the background to enable things such as prefetching map data, location history, commonly accessed browser sites, server-side app updates (the very thing that enforces the 'modern' UI on the oldest version of Google Maps on my Galaxy S4 for one example---despite never having updated the app itself), and many more.

It's sorta like killing apps. It won't net any real benefits. Clearing cache (and the more involved 'clearing dalvik cache' in recovery) is an obsolete thing today.

You can sometimes bypass or tap out of any 'error' that says you NEED Play Services (and turn the notification off) and still run apps such as Google Chrome or some other third-party app that somehow thinks it needs it. The only negatives I've dealt with involved paid apps assuming they're no longer paid and won't open, or in-app purchases disappearing (if you paid via in-app purchase for the 'no ads' option in some apps), and Pokemon Go and Vi AI Personal Trainer no longer getting their required location data and breaking.

The more positive side-effect is that at one time YouTube would run in no-ad mode since it depended on Play Services to get ad data (this was in the Jelly Bean era) and Wheel of Fortune game giving free otherwise paid content without it (both produced errors demanding you needed it but tapping out of the box with the error bypassed it and you could run anyway). I'm sure those are both patched now.

Back
Top Bottom