• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gorilla Glass Saved my ass!

Dracconus

Android Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Earlier today, while taking a look at the box on my wife's car alarm, I was running up the stairs and my connect fell out and went bounce bounce bounce down half a flight of stairs.

Here's the stairs: (Yes, they're gravel/concrete mix with steel railing)
CAM00003.jpg

Well, at the end of the stairs there's this ROCK
see:
CAM00004.jpg

Well, I was really concerned at this point, because although i've dropped my phone...a LOT (every time in these shorts too...time to get rid of them) I've never dropped THIS one from that high (About 8 feet up - we have 10' ceilings in our apartments.)

This is how the phone looks now: I've pressed on the screen hard to see if it'll keep cracking, and it doesn't appear that it will.
SAM_0332.jpg

SAM_0331.jpg

SAM_0330.jpg

And, yes my keyboard's missing keys. hehe, I've had it for ten years, and have yet to find another one like it. I'll end up replacing it with the same model.
I've tried everything from g110 to g19's and sidewinders, and razers, but NOTHING amounts to this keyboard. No Ghosting, good sturdy keys, easy to hit for the most part, waterproof WITH channels inside to drain water from the drains, and on top of that 20 programmable keys...
All for about 20 bucks NEW!
So yeah, logitech access 600 = ****ing BEAST!

Upvote 0
And, yes my keyboard's missing keys. hehe, I've had it for ten years, and have yet to find another one like it. I'll end up replacing it with the same model.
I've tried everything from g110 to g19's and sidewinders, and razers, but NOTHING amounts to this keyboard. No Ghosting, good sturdy keys, easy to hit for the most part, waterproof WITH channels inside to drain water from the drains, and on top of that 20 programmable keys...
All for about 20 bucks NEW!
So yeah, logitech access 600 = ****ing BEAST!

First off, I am glad your phone is ok. That makes me feel a whole lot better about its durability because i have seen some threads with worse conclusions. I have a thick case on this phone to protect against just that, or at least soften the blow when it does hit the ground.

Off topic, How do you feel about mechanical keyboards lol.

Upvote 0
This just blew my mind, I haven't seen a phone with that sort of durability since my old phone was submerged underwater for a full ten seconds with no ill effects. (Samsung messenger 2). Are those scratches on the screen, or just dirt that you haven't gotten around to wiping off yet?

I've noticed that, counter-intuitively, gorilla glass seems to shatter when dropped on its face (as in the other threads) and be perfectly fine when it impacts on the edges or corners (probably here, and several times my own phone landing on the edges and corners of the phone).

Upvote 0
maybe our phone is related to older Nokia's phones lol. i had to say it anyone know what im talking about

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.
I had a nokia that was small, and had the up/down button in the middle with an eight bit color screen back in the day. LITERALLY had it fall out of my pocket, and ran over it with a 26ton Reefer Unit (Refrigeration - Big Rig - Diesel). Realized I had when I saw it out of the mirror, and went to pick it up, and the screen (that was on the pavement) didn't even crack.

Upvote 0
First off, I am glad your phone is ok. That makes me feel a whole lot better about its durability because i have seen some threads with worse conclusions. I have a thick case on this phone to protect against just that, or at least soften the blow when it does hit the ground.

Off topic, How do you feel about mechanical keyboards lol.

I had a huge response lined up explaining this and and, and I accidentally closed it out, so you're going to get the abridged version now :p

While mechanical are nice the "click" of every single key would drive me complete bat shit crazy. I can barely tolerate the "tick" of a standard keyboard, or the "switch" of a scissor switch (quite type).

The reason I've had this one so long is because I can customize f1-f12 while in FN mode to launch any program, or be any combination of key I want, and the eight media keys beside the volume wheel are editable too. For a 20 dollar keyboard that's INSANE.
Take that plus the fact that it's waterproof with channels and drains and the fact that you can dunk this thing in the tub WHILE using it and you've got the ultimate freaking keyboard (note* don't get the media keys wet, they don't like it.

I've probably put 15+ million strokes on every key on this board, and it's still kicking just as strong as ever. (I bathe it quite a bit to get out the "funk" )

Upvote 0
I must say that my razer black widow is by far the best keyboard ive ever had. I know that some razer keyboards feel cheap to some people and although I dont agree really I do see where theyre coming from. The b widow however is built like a tank. I remember lifting the package for the first time and being very surprised how heavy it was. I love the fact that any key on the whole keyboard is customizable. It isnt water resistant of course but I dont play call of duty in the shower so its good :). For ppl that hate the noise there is now a ninja version of the widow with quieter switches.

Upvote 0
I just recently obtained the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, and while I'm in love with the fact that it's a logitech, as well as the fact that it still has the programmability of my old logitech I'm NOT happy with the fact that they tricked me by curving the keys, and making them slightly smaller than typical "scissor switch" keys tricking me into thinking they're standard when they're not. On top of that it's key size is about 10% smaller than that of my Acess 600, so it'll take some getting used to AND the ctrl key, spacebar, etc. are higher than all the rest so it's a really awkward shape. Also, the end key is below Home not beside it...weird.
Other than that, I'm in love with it. Feels good, just not too easy to "graze" my fingers over the keys since it's scissor switch. Sometimes they catch the edges >.<

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones